• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Tune up on the Malecite

G

The Malecite is a weird canoe. I am not sure why MRC put heavy IQ1 aluminum gunwales on a UL kevlar build, but I do like the Malecite as a big boy solo, and even like some of the better designed IQ accessories.

The plastic seat pan itself is as comfortable as any bucket I have ever sat in, and still comfortable hours later, especially with the addition of some RidgeRest foam.

In the OEM design the seat placement could be adjusted fore and aft, and up and down, by means of a movable rear thwart, wing nut positionable seat cant and webbing sliders inside an inwale channel.

P1270480 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That trickiness was handy to fine tune the soloized seat position, depth and cant angle of my best seat location, but moving it around from that sweet spot once found would have been an unnecessary PITA. Plus I did not trust that plastic slider and webbing ladder locks alone to hold the seat in place without slippage, much less prevent some future catastrophic failure.

I glued a couple of minicel seat pillars in place as back up seat supports a few years ago. Crudely shaped, but they have proven to work well in conjunction with the webbing and seat back attachment.

P1270482 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I had not improved those crude pillars, or filled in the oddly convoluted triangle of missing minicel on that base, and wanted the pillars to fully conform to the bottom of the seat.

That is one weird seat pan bottom shape to cut and carve from minicel, but I had a go at it.

I contact cemented oversized filler pieces in place and incrementally took them down to shape. Not even that incrementally, at first I used a coping saw to hack off large pieces, then a belt sander with 80 grit, before finishing work with Dragonskin for an allover custom fit.

P1290487 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The IQ seat is a pain in one other regard, when carried and sliding onto the storage or roof racks the adjustable webbing allows the seat pan to flop down in the way of the crossbars. My original plan was to simply contact cement the bottom of the seat pan to the minicel pillars.

On reflection that would not be conducive to any future adjustment using the wing nut elevation connection to the rear thwart, as the seat would then be firmly adhered in place. I am not ready to lose that simple elevation and cant angle adjustment. Excuse my dust, I was not able to wash the Malecite before work.

P1290491 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

All I want to accomplish is holding the seat down in place with the canoe inverted on my shoulders or being slid on or off the racks. Instead of a permanent adhesive solution I Gflexed a D ring on the floor under the seat. A short length of webbing and ladder lock and presto, the seat is held down firmly, but I can still make future adjustments.

P2010496 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those minicel pillars improved the original IQ bucket seat suspension by miles. And adding bit more foam for floatation does not hurt. The Malecite has no end tanks, and although it is outfitted for end bags I would rather have some always there permanent floatation. Floatation now includes split pipe foam insulation on the foot brace, minicel heel pads and now chunky seat pillars.

P2010497 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

And more minicel. The Malecite is 33 inches wide at center, and I know my preferred leg spread for knee bumpers is more like 24 inches apart. I pulled out some 1 inch and 2 inch minicel and went with, you guessed it, 3 inch thick yoga blocks for the oddball base.

It had to be an oddball base. Sitting in the canoe on a thick foam pad on the shop floor I discovered that my preferred knee placement was right at the edge of the strap yoke.

How did that happen? On every other soloized tandem with a seat positioned for my preferred bow light trim, the knee bumpers started well in front of the strap yoke.

This requires more thought. Split knee bumpers.

P2010498 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That first minicel stage only brings the knee bumpers out 2 inches from under the inwale on each side. Stage two, more contact cement work and clamping to stack on additional depth of minicel.

P2020503 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I would prefer that the knee bumpers top edge be even with the top of the gunwale for additional leg support. I have some 1 inch thick minicel. Cut to four measured L pieces that fills in the top edge. Two tone split knee bumpers.

P2030507 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I am not sure I like the Tetris shapes. Another test fitting sit on the shop pad, is that the fourth trip to the floor pad?

Oh my, that is already wayyy more comfortable. Almost there, but I need another inch of minicel depth on each side to most comfortably brace my knees.

P2030509 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I still did not like the aesthetics of the Tetris L right angles on an otherwise shapely hull. A little edge rounding with Dragonskin softened the abrupt transitions to something more pleasingly curvaceous.

P2030512 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

One more trip to the floor pad for a sit. Comfy as could be. That will do.

Another good use for the yoga blocks! What if those extra large bumper pads had drink holders in them?

I thought about coring out some receptacle slot, but the only thing that still lacks a satisfactorily secure and readily accessible storage area is the little digital waterproof camera. I do not like even that slim bulk in a pfd pocket, dry storage is not handy enough with a waterproof and under a thwart bungee gets knocked around and dirtied too much.

A slot sized to fit the little digital would be easy enough to make, and would keep the camera tightly secured and protected, but I know me. I would be 100 miles down the road from the take out and suddenly think Oh crap, where is the camera?

I know I have overlooked things stuffed and hidden up in the stems with the decked canoes, but I only know of those because they were still there when I got home.

A sail that slid up and hid under a bow flotation bag. An emptied dromedary bag that somehow stayed smushed far up in the bow tip during the ride home, and stayed there on the next trip out and back before I noticed it. A bilge pump or two stuffed beside the seat, those bilge pumps are really hard to see tucked in there beside a bucket seat.

I have gotten better about remembering to do a thorough hull check after a trip, before the boat goes up on the roof racks.

Ha! Ya, I've been guilty of that myself! Smart thinking on the no camera stashed in the boat!

I am still pondering the advisability of a camera slot in the minicel knee bumpers. Although that would have been easier to accomplish before gluing the yoga blocks in place, I no better solution for holding a small waterproof digital camera in an easily accessible padded and secure location.

I am trying to get better at remember to do lots of things, including the last step before a boat leaves the shop. Weigh the finished Malecite before it goes back on the rack.

I am psyched to paddle that canoe again, I have had it out in some daunting conditions, andnow that it is better custom comfort outfitted it should be better than ever. I know that canoe is an odd, possibly one of one, combination of a lightweight kevlar hull with heavy IQ system and cross pieces.

I can not imagine MRC built many like that, a light kev hull weighed down with heavy aluminum IQ1 gunwales, two carry handles and four cross thwarts, also all heavy aluminum design. As a tandem the Malecite came with those IQ1 gunwales, all of the existing reporposed metal cross pieces and stern foot brace, plus another oversized high backed bucket seat and a fixed yoke.

Having added under deck painter keeper extensions, 16 feet each of bow and stern line, bungee cord and D rings, utility thwart and, ummm, how to estimate, the equivalent of Five Mens Size 12 shoe boxes of minicel foam the Malecite weighs in at. . . . .

. . . . 54 lbs. It probably did not weight much less before soloization as a tandem when I got it.

The weighing in was too easy. The Malecite was already in almost perfect position, on sawhorses directly under the ceiling hung scale. I slung a cam strap around it, positioned at the soloized strap yoke location, pulled the strap and the Malecite immediately hung there, no fiddling strap adjustment needed, perfectly balanced swaying in the air.

It is too late to go back and weight any of the canoes when I first got them. Wish I had done so then, but I have only had that Taylor hanging scale attached to the shop ceiling for a few years now.

Oh the lost opportunities for canoe and outfitting weight data. All for want of a 17 dollar hanging scale.

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Preci...pID=41pCRSX986L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Woulda coulda shoulda, did not know how handy.

Back