• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Trolling with a fly rod for salmon/brook trout

The class sounds like a great start. It is one of those things that can be as complicated as you make it out to be.

My standard trout rod for the east coast is a 9' 5wt.

For what it's worth I prefer a 10' 7wt on lakes. It allows me to cast farther while sitting, handle larger fish, use a sinking line effectively, and as Al said cast bulky flies. As with most things, a lot of if it is personal preference that comes with putting time in.

I got my first new bamboo rod recently from a maker in Alberta on the Bow river. I've been out this winter with it, but looking forward to putting it through it's paces this spring. I think I may have found the deep end, but I was sort of looking for it...

Bob

Last edited:
I have never done it, but I’m heading to the North Maine Woods soon and I would like to give it a try. I have a hand me down fly rod with a decent reel but I think I will need a different line (sinking?) and some new flys and streamers.

I don’t want to buy a new rod and reel till I’m sure I’m interested in this type of fishing so I think the line and lure info would be helpful.

Also, are there any tackle shops between Mid coast Maine and the area north of me that is knowledgeable about this type of fishing and I could purchase gear?

Thanks
Hey Robin, Are you the same Robin who went to Camp Kapitachouane back in the 1970’s? I’m Mark Hinckley (CK ‘65-‘75), and I think you knew my brother Chris.
I’m working on building a stand-alone CK website, and would love to have a chat with you. LMK. Thanks.
Mark

Hey Robin, Are you the same Robin who went to Camp Kapitachouane back in the 1970’s? I’m Mark Hinckley (CK ‘65-‘75), and I think you knew my brother Chris.
I’m working on building a stand-alone CK website, and would love to have a chat with you. LMK. Thanks.
Mark
Welcome to site membership, Mark!

Mark

Sorry Mark, not me, although I have been following the thread about Camp Kapitachouane over at MYCCR. I even met Carll Williams once when I lived in Connecticut, good luck with the website.

I just signed up for a 3 day "fly fishing course" in late May with Jack Mountain Bushcraft. I think this will be a good fit for me as it's a combination of different types of fly fishing with a good part dedicated to fly fishing from a canoe.

Thanks, I'll stick with what the instructor recommends, for now, I can always upgrade to another outfit at a later date. There is some amazing smallmouth bass fishing in the Penobscot River above Bangor, which might require a different setup compared to the small trout streams and ponds of northern Maine where the course will take place.
By all means stick with what the instructor recommends, but if and when you decide to throw some big deer hair bass flies if you can't get any distance you'll know why. It's not you, it's the gear.

Sorry Mark, not me, although I have been following the thread about Camp Kapitachouane over at MYCCR. I even met Carll Williams once when I lived in Connecticut, good luck with the website.
Thanks for letting me know. I’ll keep trying to track him down.

Back