• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Trips planned for 2017 What is everyone planning

I'm hoping to do the full length of the Susquehanna river. It's 444 miles from here in Cooperstown, NY to Chesapeake Bay.

I've wanted to do it for a few years now and it seems one thing or the other comes up and I put it off.

But I'm likely to retire here in the rather near future and that will be the trigger of commitment to the trip.

Ok....I went to Isle Royal when I was 11 or 12 with the BSA. I am seriously interested in going back 45 years later. Going to research this one.
The portages are supposed to be brutal. The way the glaciers left that island geography is messed up, it's ridges running southwest to northeast throughout the island, and the up and downs when you go northwest/southeast are steeep (i believe the south sides are supposed to be steeper?). I'm hoping to buy a lighter canoe before I do it. Looking at September.

I'm hoping to do the full length of the Susquehanna river. It's 444 miles from here in Cooperstown, NY to Chesapeake Bay.

I've wanted to do it for a few years now and it seems one thing or the other comes up and I put it off.

But I'm likely to retire here in the rather near future and that will be the trigger of commitment to the trip.

When I lived in north east Baltimore County I always thought about this trip. Hope you get to do it!

I'm another that works most weekends so weekday trips in the Adirondacks are the norm for me as well. Though , I don't consider that to be a bad thing. I always hear how crowded the St Regis Canoe area is , but I'm mostly there early or late season and mid week so often don't see another sole. I did paddle the 9 carries on a Saturday in August last year and Long and St Regis ponds were crowded and a couple boats on Fish but the other small bonds were quiet, funny how a few carries will effect people pressure.

Anyway, though I enjoy solo trips, the possibility of a gathering in the Adks sounds good and if any of you were interested in a weekday paddle I'd be up for that too.

Tore the meniscus in the left knee a couple months ago which really effects kneeling in a canoe (like it just doesn't bend that far) it is slowly getting better, hoping by spring it is better. Can always sit and/or single kneel which a do quite a bit anyway.

And Mars, get out there in the Susquehanna. I did the full length of the Connecticut River a couple years ago after thinking it was something I wanted to do for probably 20 years. Hardest part of the whole trip were the last couple of portages 1 1/2 and 2 miles through cities. At one point I had to cross a 4 lane highway with my canoe on a cart, the most dangerous portage I ever attempted.

John M

Last edited:
I am doing a presentation on the canoe trip I lead for the local boy scout trip mid January in hopes of drumming up interest for either a trip to the Allagash or a repeat of the West Branch Penobscot. It will depend on the group that is interested.

As a teacher, my availability is dictated by the school calendar. Thus, during the summer months I am avail midweek.

Hopefully two trips this year. In July probably the Tha-Anne, from South Henik Lake to Hudson's Bay. The second east of Lake Winnipeg, probably including some on the Berens and Bradburn rivers, Orono Lake, etc. This will be a loop trip in September flying out of Red Lake, ON.

And Mars, get out there in the Susquehanna. I did the full length of the Connecticut River a couple years ago after thinking it was something I wanted to do for probably 20 years. Hardest part of the whole trip were the last couple of portages 1 1/2 and 2 miles through cities. At one point I had to cross a 4 lane highway with my canoe on a cart, the most dangerous portage I ever attempted.
John M

I will.

It's become a timing thing and frankly that should become a non issue with my retirement so it becoming more real. Portages at/ around the hydroelectric damns for the Susquehana trip Are the only real kink that needs working out.

There seems to be less than accurate information available from my research. There are few resources online with any real details.

That said. I have a map and a boat and a lot of route recon invested, so I may just get in the water and go and figure it out along the way.

You all have me thinking I need to start planning something. We won't do anything really big this year. We all blew our wallets last year. But, maybe something in Maine which is what we tend to do between trips up north.

In addition to the Yukon River Quest in June, as I already mentioned, there are also several local Adirondack canoe races to look forward to, including the first of season Round the Mountain in May, the General Clinton 70-miler on Memorial Day in May, the Adirondack Classic 90-miler in September,and if we can squeeze it in before leaving for the YRQ, my team always does an annual all-in one- day Cannonball-90. Hundreds of thousands ( or millions) of paddle strokes ahead.

But unfortunately I will miss my annual (26th year) of 8-days in June of staffing of a guide training program on Lows Lake this year.

Last edited:
My wife and I always take an anniversay vacation in late July. This year for our 38th we are going to spend seven nights in WCPP. Having Harlan fly us in to a remote area with a route to be determined soon. Looking forward to finally taking a wilderness trip. We will be paddling the Northstar Polaris. There will be a few ports but I want this trip (her first) to be a comfortable and enjoyable time so we will probably spend a couple nights each in several camp sights. She is excited to go.

That sounds like a special trip no doubt, Nodrama. Congrats on the 38th. A fly- in paddle- out trip sounds ideal.

My wife and I always take an anniversay vacation in late July. This year for our 38th we are going to spend seven nights in WCPP. Having Harlan fly us in to a remote area with a route to be determined soon. Looking forward to finally taking a wilderness trip..

That sounds like a great trip, I thought WCPP was my best trip ever, I hope you both have a great time.

I'm planning on paddling the entire length of the Pascagoula River basin, end of March - beginning of April. It is the last unchecked,unchannelized, unimpeded (no dams) river system in the lower 48. I will be paddling across more than a third of the State of Mississippi, ending up in the Gulf of Mexico. Doc

We just talked about it tonight, we decided that we would go only the 2 families this year, Karine sister also live up here, family of 3 just like us, the girls are best friends, they both paddle really well. So we decided that it will be us 6 only, 3 canoes. River as yet to be decided, but we have some options... Most likely a case 2-3 river rapid wise, with hopefully some hiking, 6-10 days total trip, 2 possibility of flying in paddle out option, and the other option are road access!

So we still have time to thinker things, but I ask a friend of mine that is an Hydrologist up here to guide us regarding river level in the time we will be traveling... So we limit our chances of being in flood water!!

LOL.. Just realized I did not contribute plans! We are off in about 17 days to paddle in Florida.. This will be all day trips but from Feb11-15 we will paddle in the Apalachicola area. This area also requires ingestion of liberal amounts of beer and oysters. Though we are too old to benefit from the aphrodisiac quality of the oyster. There are local brewpubs there!! YAY.. Paddling and brew pub.. what else do you need.
Feb15-21 Cedar Key and the mouth of the Suwanee.. This is not so good an area for beer but the clams are local..
Feb21-25 Wekiwa River and environs. Will take one paddling day and the rest visiting Lake Apopka for birding and biking. Oysters and bbq for the tummy.
Feb25- Mar 1.. Collier Seminole State Park in the Everglades.. Paddle baby paddle.. Turner River, Halfway Creek and Blackwater out to Fakahatchee and back..
I think too this is a beer wasteland. I am hoping for stone crabs

Working way back up through Kissimmee Prairie and Circle Bar B Ranch.. You probably have heard of the latter.

Not paddling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpwJXaWXduo

Want to meet Humpback.. I hope the crowds are gone..

Summer will find us on the Yukon River Whitehorse to Carmacks as we missed 30 mile Canyon and if we can figure logistics from Chicken to Circle through Yukon-Charley Rivers Preserve.

Last edited:
Valcour Island....Lake Champlain via kayak. Hooked up with a nice group of people at Button Bay this past Fall and want to go back.

And definitely an Adirondack Lake with the hot tent like Robin does....Long, Lila, Lows, Forked...not sure yet.

Would really like to head west but I say that every year LOL

Back