• Happy Scream Day! 😱

tough decision

Of the two boats mentioned, I would probably also choose the Mad River. But I concur with those who suggest checking the used market first. If you are prepared to buy one of these boats new, it is quite likely that you could find a used Royalex or fiberglass composite tandem for the same price, or less. If you are lucky, you might even find a used fiberglass/Kevlar composite for the same price or a little more. I think a good quality composite boat would probably suit your needs better.

Having said that, I think three layer polyethylene canoes are an acceptable choice for a boat that is going to reside within a short carry or drag from the body of water it is to be used on. They do tend to deform a bit with age, but this doesn't really affect their performance terribly much if you are not planning to paddle all that fast or far. They are awfully heavy for one person to portage any distance or regularly car top, however.

All three layer polyethylene boats and Royalex boats tend to acquire scratches, shallow dents and grooves with use.

If it comes down to one of those two canoes I’d vote for the Journey as well.

The big box (Gander Mt/Overtons) pricing for the Journey seems to be $870 (plus tax). For that kind of coin you should be able to find a far superior used RX or composite canoe that still fits your desired criteria, or find a similar poly canoe with paddles and PFD’s for far less money.

Folks on Canoe Tripping have shown a willingness to help look and advise about canoes on the used market in your area. If you want to avail yourself of that help let us know where you are located, and maybe some height/weight data.

Unless you are set on purchasing a canoe ASAP, or simply want to put the first scratches on a shiny new hull, well….

The big-box Journey or Disco will always be there if you strike out used.

They might even get a little cheaper come spring sales time.

Just for funsies here’s the Craigslist Canoes in the closest metro area to me:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/sea...catAbb=boa&query=Canoe&minAsk=&maxAsk=&excats=

Baltimore is not exactly “canoe country” when it comes to used boats, and this isn’t exactly prime sales time for used canoes, but there are a couple of possibilities there. Give us a geographic area and let’s see what turns up.

A thread about the relative merits and asking prices of used boats in your area has the potential to be educational. Or at least entertainingly biased.

And some might be travelling your way if you find something that is remote but you would still like to buy.

From experience spend twice as much time and effort in getting a nice light weight paddle as you spend getting your canoe. And buy a cheap Al shafted plastic paddle for rocks, ice, and pushing off the shoreline. The place to spend less is on your first canoe not your first paddles and PDFs. I have had some great trips in cheap junk canoes with my nice paddles. It's nice to paddle all day with nice paddles it's not fun to feel like your arms are going to drop off before lunch. As for looks, in my eyes the best canoe is the one that is being paddled the best.

If it were me I would pass on the poly and look for a decent used royalex boat in the $500 - $600 range.

Back