Topic drift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
OK, sorry I mentioned it.

I'm done here.

Last edited:
Johnny 5,

I, as well as many others, have posted quite a few trip reports, here on “canoetripping.net.” They are intended as entertainment, but are certainly not vague. Also, they don’t fit into your “problem solving“ category. Maybe you need another category.

Similar to billconner, I wonder what prompted you to start this thread. It will be interesting to observe the drift!

I LOVE thread drift. You never know what awesomeness will come out of the woodwork. But it does make it tough to find later if you need to go looking for it

While not a canoe topic, I thought the original topic was somewhat relevant to discuss and wasn't going to post in it, but for some reason Johnny 5 has deleted his original post.

I took it that his main point was that drift in an informational topic that the OP has put a lot of thought or work into, such as a specific boat build or a DIY project (or even a trip report), should not be taken far off topic by a lot of drift. I think that's a legitimate point of view. There may be other legitimate points of view.

I've always felt that a thread starter has a sort of "right" to come into a thread and request folks to stay on his or her topic. As administrator, I don't think I'd get involved officially unless the drift was really egregious or ventured into an area against the rules, in which case I'd probably lock the thread. So far, that has never happened in my tenure.

Since Johnny 5 has withdrawn his original topic OP, there's probably not much constructive to be gained by further debating this issue in the abstract and possibly provoking each other, all of whom have been very valuable contributing members here.

I feel bad if my response caused OP to leave. It was just a light hearted observation.

Ok view bulletin boards like this a "conversation" in a lounge or bar (or supper club in Wisconsin), or around a campfire if you prefer.

I also felt bad that my response might have caused the OP to leave. I was intrigued by his thread, and thought we might have more than two categories. Sometimes the written word, without facial expressions and body posture, can be easily misconstrued.

All right, the initial posters have had a second say. No one wants Johnny 5, one our best DIY and gear contributors, to leave the site.

We are not going to have public discussions about what we do or don't like about each other's posting styles, or implicitly how this site should be moderated.

There's a first time for everything. Thread ended and locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back