• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

top quilt

To answer Mike's question.

Some quilt manufactures are moving towards using vertical down tubes instead of horizontal with the claim that these will conform to body shape better though I am doubtful about this. Sleeping bag manufacturers have been using this style in winter bags for years but mainly for down control. The thinking is that vertical tubes will stop down from shifting downhill, out to the sides of the bag and I can see this would be especially helpful in a quilt where you are rotating within the quilt rather than rolling the whole thing over like in a winter bag. If the down shifts to the sides it would lead to drastic loss of loft right over the top of your body. I suspect adding an oz of overfill also helps limit down migration and may have a lower weight penalty than a complicated baffle system.

I've sort of developed an unconscious roll and tuck that I do almost without waking. We use a quilt at home so I'm familiar with those side sleeper gaps. To pull the quilt around me I tilt from a 90 deg. side lay forward by 30 deg pulling the quilt in behind me, then back to pull the quilt in front of me in to create a snug fitting surround. You have got to have a wide enough quilt to do this though.

One big difference between a custom quilt and an open sleeping bag would likely be the neck drawcord and snap around the back of the neck. Closing the top end of the quilt off really helps keep the warm air in.

I've yet to switch to a full hood, so far I have been happy with a merino toque or balaclava on colder nights.

If you want to see TQ baffle patterns, you can check out the HG website (Hammock Gear), they have fitting and performance data there .... bought my first TQ there, made my second winter quilt DIY, based on that style .... both work as designed. Provide that downy warmth and comfort, while packing down ridiculously small for tripping. There are a lot of really good cottage suppliers, you can head over to HammockForums if you want the definitive word on this stuff. For me, I don't consider taking anything else when I head out these days.

If I go to ground, it is with a Exped 9 cm downmat, coupled with a down TQ (3 season or 4, trip dependent) ... the Exped has been my go to ground cover for the last 15 years or so, it never disappoints (and it is also stuffed with down).

Like any other sleep system, a TQ does not operate by itself ... if you get cold you it could be any component ... but if it is a good TQ with sufficient width and you get cold at the sides, I would be taking a good look at the ground cover .....the TQ will keep you warm right to the tuck area where it meets the ground cover, if the mat isn't wide enough or working well, then you will get cold there, as the down is compressing and the ground mat should be taking up the slack. If you are in a hammock, then substitute UQ for "ground mat" and the same ideas apply.

Brian

Last season I used a Pine Down Blanket as a top quilt. I just got a HG 20d econ top quilt to for my birthday I am looking forward to using it. I figure I can combine with the PDB if I need to extend the range.

Bought an Enlightment Equipment Revelation summer 2017 30f, love if for june-oct with a neo air mattress. I just ordered a warbonnet bridge hammock, double layer and will use my air mattress and quilt. I have a few other bags that pretty much open up rectangular to use, plus a CCS tarp I bought last year just in case i need to go to ground. I had a large bivy made thats supposed to be breathable that I bring, sometimes. Costco down quilts are also great to use, bit short but some folks are great with sewing machines to make them larger.

Back