• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Too many boats

Oh boy, Steve: "Hoarding. You have multiple copies of same boat, and no one to paddle them simultaneously." Two Wenonah Sandpipers, one still waiting for gunwale replacement, a Peterson Bros square stern w/c in need of LOTS of work, 7 more canoes sitting in the racks (not even counting kayaks), and no PLANS to acquire another this year... Meanwhile, I'm in Idaho with just one boat on the truck's rack slowly working my way east for the Ozarks in Missouri and Arkansas. But there's always room for "just one more."
Brad

it's all just filling niches. There's a lot of wiggle room in the definition of "niche". :D

Our rack full of family boats fill three principal niches. My wife and sons all paddle, and we each prefer different hulls for different situations. We have personal favorites for a larger tripping canoe solo, a smaller day use solo and a decked ruddered sailing solo.

4 x 3 only gets us to 12 boats, but with an ultralight kevlar canoe dedicated for lake use and a couple more rockered RX hulls for downriver trips we are pretty much on target.

The only rack queens are the two tandems and I hope to sell one or both soon.

Which will open a slot or two on the rack. Nature abhors a vacuum. . . . .

Oh boy, Steve: "Hoarding. You have multiple copies of same boat, and no one to paddle them simultaneously." Two Wenonah Sandpipers, one still waiting for gunwale replacement, a Peterson Bros square stern w/c in need of LOTS of work, 7 more canoes sitting in the racks (not even counting kayaks), and no PLANS to acquire another this year... Meanwhile, I'm in Idaho with just one boat on the truck's rack slowly working my way east for the Ozarks in Missouri and Arkansas. But there's always room for "just one more."
Brad

Hey now! We are trying to import good canoes into Idaho. ;) Don't be pickin' 'em up here and shipping them east! :eek:

How long are you lingering in Idaho, Brad?

Just another day or two, Steve. My son & I are headed for Swan Falls Reservoir this morning for his first paddle in his "new" Nova Craft Prospector 17 - I'll paddle my Sandpiper. We're in Kuna, just outside Boise - are you close?
Brad

Real close Brad, but working today and tomorrow. If it was weekend, it would be a perfect time to do Swan Falls to Celebration, through the Birds of Prey reserve. That Prospector is the perfect boat for it. A couple class 2 wave trains and some smaller riffles. Great views.

Tomorrow, not so perfect - especially for the Prospector. 20-24 mph headwinds on that stretch. :eek:

Brad

And you can gather boats at the Rendezvous with the chief Buyer and Seller of Canoes who lives there. He does this so often and smoothly he ought to be in real estate. And gather more in the cornfields of Manitoba.. Christy and Karin live in what one outsider would think would be the epitome of cornrow or is that rapeseed ditch canoeing?

Right you are YC....we have paddled in the Govt ditches. You can connect some of the smaller rivers and creeks that way. I am still waiting for them to thaw this year. We woke up to more snow this morning of all things.

To be truthful; until early this week, I couldn't say with any degree of assurance, how many canoes I had.
Made a count to refresh my memory.
My wife has 2; I knew that, easy number to remember.
Found out that I have 22.
All are solo canoes with exception of a 1965 Chestnut Pal.

I make no excuses, won't plead my case, or offer any justification whatsoever.
My name is BOB; I'm a canoeaholic.

To be truthful; until early this week, I couldn't say with any degree of assurance, how many canoes I had.
Made a count to refresh my memory.
My wife has 2; I knew that, easy number to remember.
Found out that I have 22.
All are solo canoes with exception of a 1965 Chestnut Pal.

I make no excuses, won't plead my case, or offer any justification whatsoever.
My name is BOB; I'm a canoeaholic.

Think of it this way you have 2 dozen.

Back