• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Three days, two nights, 3-4 hours from Boston

Reaction score
I have some time off next week, and I’m looking for something that would be three days and two nights. I'd like to stay within 3 –- 4 hours of Boson so we don't spend most of the time driving. Any ideas? I wouldn’t mind doing the Saco (never done it), but I don’t know if there would be enough water. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have some time off next week, and I’m looking for something that would be three days and two nights. I'd like to stay within 3 –- 4 hours of Boson so we don't spend most of the time driving. Any ideas? I wouldn’t mind doing the Saco (never done it), but I don’t know if there would be enough water. Thanks.

Its quite beautiful right now but the water is incredibly low

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01064500

The Androscoggin is no better
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01053500

I'd watch the Saco.. It might come up as significant rain forecast Friday through Sunday

Mr. eckilson,
Keith is right, head to the ADK's, you can't go wrong there.
You didn't say if you're solo or with a group. Keep in mind that the various wilderness areas have restrictions on group size.
Are you able/willing to carry? If so, the range of destinations is limitless (a little hyperbole there)...
What is your preference, big water, small water, through trip, leisurely or strenuous? The only choice not on the plate is whitewater, too little rain and too late in the year.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Since Mr E is a salt water canoer too. I might suggest Casco Bay. Launch from Winslow Park in Freeport. Go out to the Goslings and camp( Maine Heritage Trust Island free)
http://mainetoday.com/maine-outdoor...plore-camp-thanks-maine-coast-heritage-trust/
Go camp on Whaleboat Island...doodle over to Jewell. Its all relatively protected. Free camping. Little Chebeague has camping too..

Casco Bay is often overlooked.

Flagstaff Lake ( free) is also perhaps within range. Umbagog is closed alas. From what I hear the law will chase you out.

Last edited:
If you stretch it a little, you could do the Moose River/Bow Trip. It is 5 or so hours to Jackman, but it is a nice 3 night trip. Mid-week you would likely have it all to yourself. One long carry and a few short ones around rips - especially this year. Foliage is likely past prime now.

If you stretch it a little, you could do the Moose River/Bow Trip. It is 5 or so hours to Jackman, but it is a nice 3 night trip. Mid-week you would likely have it all to yourself. One long carry and a few short ones around rips - especially this year. Foliage is likely past prime now.
If you have two cars with good ground clearance put in at Holeb and take out at Attean and shuttle the road between the two. Avoids the 1.25 mi portage

the forecast for this weekend in Jackman is for 5-8 inches of snow. Monday morning will be subfreezing so some could be left.

Great ideas – thanks guys. Just so you know, there’ will be two of us in solo boats. We’ll start Wednesday and finish up Friday. I’'d like to stretch it out, but I have to work Tuesday, and my partner has a wedding on Saturday

I’'d love to go up to the Adirondacks. I’ve only been up there once – Long Lake to Saranac Lake, and it was great. My partner lives on the other side of Boston, so probably too far for this trip.

http://eckilson.blogspot.com/2012/09...september.html

I did the Moose River Bow this spring – also a great trip. We did Holeb to Attean and skipped the long portage.

http://eckilson.blogspot.com/2016/05...o-30-2016.html

Casco Bay sounds great, but is something I’d like to do with someone who has been there before – hint, hint…

Saco is still an option – just seems like something I should do – hoping for rain.

The Upper CT is also a great idea. I checked out the website of the CT River Paddlers Tail, and it looks good. Daveo4, if you were just doing two nights what section would you do. Maybe I should just call Hemlock Pete.

Erik, When we do the Saco we put in at Swan's Falls and head to the Old Course going up that to the covered bridge. Just before the bridge is a leanto we've used several times as the owner's don't mind us camping there. From there we sometimes head out to Keyser Pond/Lake for a view of Mt. Washington. From there we usually just find a nice site for the next night. Just food for thought but it is rather low now.

dougd

Doug - it's me and Jonathan - happy to have some more. So what do you think - is the Saco too low? Ever done anything on the CT?

Love to join in but can't take time off right now. Haven't done much on the CT, one time we did we got wind bound! The Saco might come up, we're forecast for some rain. Keep an eye on the gauge. I'll PM you this weekend.

dougd

Erik, When we do the Saco we put in at Swan's Falls and head to the Old Course going up that to the covered bridge. Just before the bridge is a leanto we've used several times as the owner's don't mind us camping there. From there we sometimes head out to Keyser Pond/Lake for a view of Mt. Washington. From there we usually just find a nice site for the next night. Just food for thought but it is rather low now.

dougd
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that route right now. Going from Hemlock Covered Bridge to Kezar Pond is my most favorite local day trip... There is an awesome campsite on the pond with a sandy beach.
But the Old Course is full of logs from its intersection with the New Course to Hemlock Bridge and snags and all are showing now. There is a small swift just upstream of the covered bridge that now is all rocks for about a hundred feet.

Rain dance guys!! If all clears the view of the snow on Mt Washington would be awesome.

Woot! Four inches of rain doubled the Saco's Flow.. Should keep rising a little more rain to come then snow Sunday.

If you were to do the trip I would start at the big lot off 113 north of Fryeburg.. go down to Swans Falls, portage around Swans and then go down to Brownfield.. A good three day trip
Swans charges $10 for parking. Its worth it to me. Might not be to you Canal Bridge charges too but unsure if they do now. Walkers Bridge doesnt and Rt 160 is run by the state at Brownfield

"if you were just doing two nights what section would you do. Maybe I should just call Hemlock Pete."
I'd start just below the Canaan dam. There is a good current and we were able to paddle 70 miles in the first 3 days but you certainly don't need to do that. If you start lower down the pools above each of the big dams are extensive and can get rough if the wind is blowing. The northern section is very scenic, has good current but nothing more than very easy class 2 "quickwater", and the portages are short and easy around a couple of breeched dams.
Have fun wherever you end up.
Dave

It is hardly wilderness, but you could launch onto the Connecticut River in Hartford, Ct, and take out at the mouth in Lyme. First night at River Highlands State Park, and the second night at Selden Neck State Park.

It is hardly wilderness, but you could launch onto the Connecticut River in Hartford, Ct, and take out at the mouth in Lyme. First night at River Highlands State Park, and the second night at Selden Neck State Park.

My local club did a trip around there this summer - put in at Hadlyme Ferry Boat Ramp, paddled to the Cedars Campsite on Selden Neck Island for night one and Gillette Castle for night two. At the moment, I think we are leaning towards the upper CT River starting in Canaan. I'd still like to do the Saco, but doubt it will hold.

Woot! Four inches of rain doubled the Saco's Flow.. Should keep rising a little more rain to come then snow Sunday.

If you were to do the trip I would start at the big lot off 113 north of Fryeburg.. go down to Swans Falls, portage around Swans and then go down to Brownfield.. A good three day trip
Swans charges $10 for parking. Its worth it to me. Might not be to you Canal Bridge charges too but unsure if they do now. Walkers Bridge doesnt and Rt 160 is run by the state at Brownfield

Looks like it peaked at 600 yesterday - dropping like a rock now.

Back