• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Thoughts on my fall trip and the need for solitude.

Reaction score
Each fall I like to take a trip to the boundary waters, usually the first week in October. I like to go by myself and experience solitude. However, last year I took my nephew who was on leave from the military and much in need of R&R. We paddled my NC Pal tandem loaded down pretty good, and it felt like a pig, but we got by and had a great trip. I normally paddle my Pal solo from the bow seat when tripping by my self. Paddling tandem was a means to an end, but it just wasn't as enjoyable or relaxing. I'm pretty fussy and having some one else in my canoe was very taxing at times. I love my nephew so I bit my lip as much as I could bare it. This year my son wanted to join me. I said fine but we will both paddle solo. He has a NC Bob Special. That improved the paddling situation for the most part. Even though he is 26 and did just fine, I still found my self feeling responsible for someone else all the time. We had a good trip and I'm glad we did it. Since he went to college and afterward got married, we haven't had much guy time together. But it wasn't the same as a solo trip. I need solitude from time to time. I need peace and quiet. I need it to free up my mind. I need to feel free. I need to overcome loneliness so I can be at peace within my self, not burdening others to make me feel whole. I need to be stretched from time to time and overcome, so I don't give in to the calender and retire to the rocker. Next year I will take a solo trip. If my son wants to go tripping with me that will have to be an additional trip. I used to feel guilty going on a solo trip, but not anymore. I got to be me for a little while longer while I still can. Dave

Rippy, I once saw a wildlife film about nesting birds and every time the adult came back to the nest he was meet with all these gaping mouths all clamoring for attention. (and worms, bugs etc.) That poor bird looked worn to a frazzle, and do I ever know how he felt.
When I start extricating myself from all the clutching claims on me, as a defense from all the guilt trips, I imagine how suprised they all would be if I morphed into an axe murderer. Not that I'm really tempted; the idea of spending my declining years in a cell with a three hundred pound, black, weight lifting sodomite isn't my idea of fun.
Still and all there is duty, true, but there is also freedom. You really need it; go for it!
Best Wishes, Rob

I can relate to that also. On my recent little week long trip, my son expressed interest in going but work and family prevented his joining and I new that from the get go. Had he joined me, it would have been difficult to balance his need to get in as much time hunting vs. my need to relax and keep my strength up (as in sleep late, eat great breakfasts and wait till the temps rise before setting out for the day)I agree, two trips are a good option.

i don't do as well "alone" as i'd like... 4 days is about my max without human contact... i like having someone around at night, just to share the day with. plenty of time for me to think alone during the day. but i know what you mean about feeling responsible... camping with my daughter is like that. i love having her around, but i still have to be 'in charge'... however, two solo canoes is definitely a good thing... we don't fight as much as we used to (she pulls more of her own weight now that she's older, i'm less concerned with making distance), but we took a trip two summers back in two solos, and i loved it. "two trips" is definitely how i'll do it as long as i can afford it.

In May, after the spring semester is over, I just need to get away alone. Putting up with all those college kids is enough to drive anyone to hermithood.

Back