• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Things that interfere with or otherwise screw up canoe trips

The weather can be a challenge, especially extreme desert heat, winds over 40 mph and serious precip that causes rivers to rise.
My biggest problems have been related to people. People that don't get along very well, people that want to get loaded, people that don't pitch in much and help. My Maximum party size is now 4 carefully selected long term friends and my brother. That's it.

Just experienced a trip from heck.

Got a childhood friend that I now only see once ever few years. We went camping and it turned out he’s a raging alcoholic. First day we were fishing and I realized he was getting way too tipsy for the canoe. I struggled to get us back to camp without flipping over. Mentioned maybe he should slow down on the drinks and he really didn’t seem to appreciate the suggestion. I cut the trip short and the day to pack up and leave he was passed out drunk in the campsite by 10am. Managed to get him and the gear in the canoe. I then begged him to not attempt to paddle, just sit there still. I hugged the shoreline in shallow water back to our portage site. I had to make multiple trips while he staggered down the trail leaving gear littered everywhere. He passed out in the car again while I packed the car and tied up the canoe.

Just experienced a trip from heck.

Got a childhood friend that I now only see once ever few years. We went camping and it turned out he’s a raging alcoholic. First day we were fishing and I realized he was getting way too tipsy for the canoe. I struggled to get us back to camp without flipping over. Mentioned maybe he should slow down on the drinks and he really didn’t seem to appreciate the suggestion. I cut the trip short and the day to pack up and leave he was passed out drunk in the campsite by 10am. Managed to get him and the gear in the canoe. I then begged him to not attempt to paddle, just sit there still. I hugged the shoreline in shallow water back to our portage site. I had to make multiple trips while he staggered down the trail leaving gear littered everywhere. He passed out in the car again while I packed the car and tied up the canoe.
That's one that most of us wouldn't think of, but it can sure ruin a trip. I had a good friend that recently passed at 63 that I would never consider tripping with even though he was a competent outdoorsman. He stayed at my house one time and I almost ended up sleeping in the yard to get away from him.

Some people use time in the outdoors to get loaded. They are away from home, away from spouses, etc.
I was hunting deer with a pretty good friend in very remote Nevada. The guy is a geologist and very skilled in the outdoors, but he got so drunk he fell in the campfire and I had to drag him out. I helped him to the tent and he passed out on the floor never making his sleeping bag.
I did a week long canoe trip with a friend of 35 years. He smoked weed all day every day. He had a couple of near misses because he was smoking and not paddling. Later he capsized in the one dangerous spot on the trip. I was not happy and have given up on him since.

This past Thursday, 10/20/22 I got an early start and headed up to the North Maine Woods for what I hoped would be 4 nights camping out of my wall tent at Poland Pond. I’ve been there before, it’s an easy 3 mile paddle upstream to a quiet pond (lake) with a primitive island campsite.
Last years camp,
B1BDB0FD-DEBE-4967-A7D3-8332C2128081.jpeg
We have had some heavy rain events here in Maine recently and I was concerned about water levels. To get to up into thee pond requires paddling up a narrow section of the stream where there used to be a dam. Last year I managed to get up thru there without much difficulty.
Paddling up thru the narrows last year,
A5EDFB59-457F-4352-8F84-A92AA8E7C618.png
When I arrived at the put in this year the water level was much higher than last year. Even the area above the water level was soaking wet. As I began to off load, I kept thinking of the narrows and how much water was going thru there now. The temps where in the high 40’s, clouds replaced what was supposed to be sunny skies and there was a small headwind building. For the first time I can remember I said to my self the heck with this. I jumped back into the warm truck, proceeded to look for an alternative site which never developed and I was home by midnight.
The put in where I turned around,
34DDFAD4-05B6-4A38-A899-6405DD68D758.jpeg
Some reasons why I bailed…
Water levels.
Weather.
Age and physical limits.
Common sense that comes with age.

Common sense that comes with age.
That's probably the most important one to pay attention to! I have been for most of my life, a dedicated ice climber & mountaineer. Modern ice climbing involves the use of pretty specific styled ice axes. When I have bailed from a day of climbing, from poor conditions, cold- or lack thereof which makes the ice unsuitable-, or fear!!, we just refer to it as "taking the tools for a walk". It's still a good day out in the mountains, but sometimes common sense must prevail.

By the way Robin, that's a great looking truck/canoe rig! You took your canoe out for a ride and got outdoors. That's all that counts.

It was a nice ride and scouting trip. Wet ground, hard upstream paddling, and cold weather would turn me off, too. As I've aged into ancientness, I can't tolerate hot or cold weather anymore.

What canoe were you paddling there last year? It looks as if you are in a centralized seat.

What canoe were you paddling there last year? It looks as if you are in a centralized seat.
It was my 16’ tandem Chestnut Cruiser, I agree, it does look like I’m in the center of the canoe, must be the Go Pro, I was in the bow seat, canoe reversed.

I was headed to the a friend’s fly shop and grocery store early on Friday morning to gather supplies for a local trip later that day.
It didn’t go as planned.
F3A91740-07BA-4076-AC31-002522D8C897.jpeg
204307AD-66E2-4E52-9A1A-0AE0432A8E00.jpeg
I’m glad the canoe wasn’t on top yet and more grateful my yuppie sensibilities led me to purchase a Volvo a couple months ago. The others involved didn’t fare as well. I won’t be up for sleeping on the ground for a while, but I will appreciate it more when the time comes.

Bob

In 2005 or 2006, wife and I went to BWCA for a loop starting at Seagull Lake and ending with a tow at American Point. There was a big fire going on when we arrived and the “park” was closed. We hung around a day or two and when the entry was reopened we headed out. The fire had been going for some time and it burned most of the area around Seagull. The ground was smoking around the camp first night, and a chopper flew nearby to drop water on a hot spot very nearby. The fire ruined much of the scenery that trip at the beginning and end of the loop, but we did enjoy some nice smaller lakes in the interior and mostly had the place to ourselves. I’ve gone through there several times since that fire. The burn is mostly recovered smaller trees, mostly birch wiith smaller pines. Here’s a shot of a burned area in 2019.DSCN0557.jpeg

Well, last summer I had to bail out on a trip down the Allagash due to Covid, but it was my 4th trip of the season, so I can't complain. We did have some drama on our way to the Bowron Lakes in BC. Before we left home they closed the whole region due to wildfires. It was touch and go every day, checking for updates. Finally we just went for it and indeed they did reopen the park days before our trip. Half way around the loop saw the park rangers motor on down the lake, a bad sign, and we were waiting for them to return and send us back the way we came. But no, they just closed a bunch of campsites and we could continue through the burning area.

This year there is so much runoff from snowmelt, we risk running rivers in flood.
A certain Oregon river was at 4,000 cfs last time we ran it. It has been at 10,000 cfs this year several times. There is a 40% chance it will be running at 15,000 cfs and a 20% chance it will be at the 20,000 cfs level. That means the river will be up in the trees with few eddys. Most campsites will be under water. Getting off the river is difficult. We may need a backup plan for an easier river.

Utterly rude of my daughter and son-in-law not to consider my annual June solo before they conceived.
The kid will be too young to remember whether you were there or not :LOL:

Besides, in a couple of years when the June solo is no longer a solo, you'll be the best... grandpa... EVER!

(actually, wishing only the best for your family)

So far this year I've scrapped one trip due to lack of water. The USGS gauge in Bloomfield should be 4-6 feet for the Little Muskingum River in SE Ohio but on Memorial Day (when I had tentatively arranged for the shuttle 60 miles upstream) it read 2.7 feet. Maybe next Spring...

The burning ban in Canada is likely to impact my July trip (but probably won't cancel it). I rarely light a campfire on backpacking trips but I enjoy cooking on a fire during canoe trips. It really looks like I'll be pan frying fish on the pocket rocket unless Canada gets a bunch of rain in the next month.

Back