• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

The Purge (river style)

We have a local river here that is popular to the inflatable pool toy crowd. What I have observed, is that they never leave their "vessels" at the bottom to retrieve shuttle vehicles, as is common for us. These things are deflatable also, and then fit in the smallest of vehicles - or rolled up on someone's lap on the shuttle bus. No one leaves these things laying with intent to return and retrieve. No one. I doubt that anyone's attitude about the river was changed one way or the other. Drunk yahoos will do what they do, until they either grow up, or someone grows them up.

If we are going to clean up this mess of a world and mitigate (slow down, not halt) the impacts of overpopulation, a new model of nonacceptance is in order. I'd have said something when the first bottle broke.

This was an interesting read, and an oh so familiar theme I see repeatedly in my travels.
Firstly, thankyou Big Al for your environmental stewardship! Nice to hear stories of Respect for the planet.
Secondly, knowing the players ... Humans .
We are the quintessential enigma in this universe, in one package exists the capabilities of angelic goodness and heinous evil all rolled into one.
Many factors influence which pathway one follows.
I've noticed over the last few decades how the global mindset seems to be shifting towards a more "self indulgent" attitude. What I'm calling, "The Me First" movement. You'll see it everywhere, in traffic on the roads, at the local markets and malls and unfortunately in our wilderness areas as well.
That apparent lack of Respect for the environment or other denizens of our little blue planet. A truly sad commentary on the state of the world.
Time after time, I've come across this same scenario that Al describes. People out in nature enjoying their experience as a one time / one use event.
This attitude develops the lazy thinking actions of, "oh well, not my problem I'm out here". Leaving the mess for someone else to clean up, should they so desire. It's easier to just enjoy your time without having to do the proper work required. As a lifeform we all tend to strive for existence, while exerting as little effort as possible to do so. It's the nature of things. We humans with our elevated sentience have the capacity to see beyond the "now". Some of us actually do practice this and show respect for others and our environment, alot of us unfortunately don't :(

In Big Al's defense I've seen too many examples of disrespect for nature myself and I find them quite disturbing so it can be helpful to vent.

Yesterday I came across someone hunting illegally. I almost stopped at the police station on my way home to discuss what I saw and get their reaction and I should have, just to make myself feel a little better. I'm still disturbed today but not as much as yesterday.

They put in a beautiful hand powered launch beach at an area lake. I rarely use it during the summer due to the waverunners and encroaching beach fishermen, but it's a nice drive up beach for a canoeist with parking. While walking my dogs in that area last month, I saw where someone had broken bottles on the concrete tie off. Had to pull my dogs back from that side of the beach and wonder who would do this, and why?

My new bride and I where camped at a beautiful little drive in campsite along the famed Beaverkill River in Roscoe, NY back in 1972. I saw the same scenario as BigAl saw, tough guys throwing rocks at empty beer bottles they floated down the river. I watched but knew better than to say anything, pretty disheartening to see this beautiful trout stream be so disrespected. Later two privately owned canoes (not livery canoes) floated by paddled by younger and older couples. They had their camping gear neatly stowed and they gracefully steered their canoes thru the rock garden.
I convinced my wife that the canoe was our ticket away from these types and we soon owned our own brand new 17' Grumman. Still run into some looser's now and then but not too often.

Timely post Pringles, and most appreciated.
Words matter. They and the thoughts behind them (or lack thereof) are often what drive our daily social media frenzied lives. There are vandals among us who feel empowered by their reckless misbehaviour, whether they're busting beer bottles or trolling Facebook. They are just sh!t disturbers who need to be called out by someone eventually, either directly to their faces or indirectly through positive displays of leading by example.
But I wasn't intending to go there with this post, rather I was interested in following up on the notion of word usage in our lives. Some of them mentioned in the Unicorn Hunters' list made me laugh (guiltily). There are many words I'd love to see the end of, but many more which I fear are fading from our daily lives. This book has been on my wish list stuck to the fridge for two years now, I'd better go ahead and treat myself to an early birthday present, and continue to spread the good words.
https://www.thelostwords.org/book/

Back