• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

​The perfect bag

Reaction score
I’m on the hunt for my opinion of the perfect bag for canoeing. How hard could it be right? I certainly welcome all feedback and input. There has to be something out there that will do the trick.

I have a bit of criteria that surrounds my decision, so maybe it’s hard to find because my criteria is so specific. Here it goes…

Waterproof (not just water resistant)
Abrasion resistance
Duffle style
Backpack straps + waist strap?
Large opening for access of entire bag
Easy open access while on water
Subtle color, but not black
50-65 Liters
Sub $150
Not hard-sided like barrel

Am I nuts? Has the long winter finally done me in? I have a large highend back pack, have used the dry bags, barrels, and other hard-sided gear totes of all kinds, so my perspective is kinda like a laser on finding this type of gear. Can anyone help? Have some of you found the same thing?

Thanks,
Momentum

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/ob1154r.html

http://www.amazon.com/OverBoard-Waterproof-Pro-Sports-Duffel-60-Liter/dp/B00O5400W0

http://www.overboardusa.com/pro-sports-waterproof-duffel-bag-60-litres-209.html

waterproof-60-liter-pro-sports-duffel-red-1.jpg

Why not a Seal line or Eureka 70 litre? Same thing only upright.

Christy

I don't want to bash on seal line or eureka, but there are nothing in comparison to watershed bags. I know sealing are made in the USA, like the Watershed, but I'm not sure about the other 2...

I like when he said( in the video above) that the bag "will even take a quick submersion..." That wouldn't be good enough for what we expect from a waterproof bag... But that is only what we expect.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I have seen the Overboard brand of bags, and it appears as though they fit most, if not all my criteria. I'll look at them a little closer.
The biggest problem with most dry bags, is that they tend to be a round long tube that seals at one end. Invariably the item needed from the bag is at the bottom, so it means emptying everything out, or trying to pull it out with the bag still full. I don't like either of those options.
Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

I can attest to the waterproofness of Eureka canoe packs....we flipped the canoe a few years back and it was upside down in the river for a goodly time while we swam it to shore, rolled it over and baled it out. The bags kept the canoe afloat...airtight....and our gear dry...watertight. We travelled in pouring rain for an entire day and everything in the packs stayed dry. We are not overly gentle with our gear and 5 years on it is starting to see some wear.

I think that is not too bad. We use the 115 litre ones but they make a 70 or 75 too. I like the nice big comfy straps on ours and most importantly the grab handles for when you need to hoist them out of the boat and toss them on shore. Also, the hip belts are removable...I dont like them on canoe packs.

So my experience with the Eureka is very good. Neve used a Seal Line but they are much the same.

Christy

i like the modularity of simple box-type canoe-packs -- canvas or cordura, you pick -- i've had good luck with eureka, woods, duluth, and oostrom -- lined with smaller dry bags -- the outside bag gives you easy humping and abrasion resistance, and some water-resistance, the inner bag(s) give you the water-proofness where you specifically need it. Most of the wear and tear in on the outer bag and can be repaired without sacrificing inner waterproofing. Individual parts of the system can be replaced or interchanged as required...some-things need to be 100% waterproof, like sleeping bags, other things are less critical, like the tent, so there is a degree of redundancy in-case a field-substitution is necessitated...and sometimes a little breathabilty is a good thing...nothing worse than a pair of muskeg-soaked socks burried in a dry-bag...

Back