• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Pet food containers for flotation and storage

Reaction score
Summay
Gamma2 Vittles Vault 85lb animal food storage containers (square barrels) were used as flotation and dry storage. The lids were pleasant to open and close but were not completely watertight. Ultimately most paddlers will probably find blue barrels superior.

Since it's dark and cold out I'll elaborate on the barrels, lashing them in, testing, and some drawbacks.

Part 1 - Why the square barrel?

I like to carry flotation in whitewater and open water. This is based on my past swims, practice sessions, and the norm for dedicated whitewater canoes. My goal was not just to keep stuff dry, but also to have something that would function like an air bag.

60 L blue barrels are a well established dry storage solution. However, I find the metal rings fidgety and irritating. I found the Gamma seal lid to be satisfying to spin shut. I also like the neutral off-white color of the square barrels.

I could get new, clean square barrels to my door for around $80 each. I couldn't find blue barrels below $120 with shipping. I couldn't find used blue barrels nearby either. Somebody an hour away was selling them, but they never seemed to have several 16 gallon available at the same time. He was also removing the labels, making it impossible to know what was originally in them.

So at Christmas I suggested it to my wife, and shortly a large square pet food container was beside the Christmas tree with a red bow.

PXL_20230211_185524284~2.jpg

Part 2 the square barrel

Christmas morning I removed the bow and tags then gave the lid a satisfying spin. I quickly noticed a problem - there hadn't been adequate (any?) post-mold cleanup. There was sharp flashing left on the lid, ring, top and bottom of the barrel. Some places were sharp enough to cut fingers. I used a razor, flat file and sandpaper to smooth it out. A chainsaw file helped get inside the threads on the lid.
PXL_20230211_185843172.jpg
PXL_20230211_185814544.jpg

I measured the square barrel to be 28 ¾ x 14 x 14 inches. The opening is 10 1/2 in across. It weighs 6.4 lbs. I'm estimating the volume to be 87 L.

The lid is a Gamma seal bucket lid, and the barrel is basically a big tall bucket. A good tug will remove the lid collar from the barrel.
PXL_20240131_045457634.jpg

Part 3 - Outfitting the Lamoille and the first test.

The barrels were first rigged behind the yoke in the MR Lamoille. This is mainly due to my current 2-kids-in-tandem front seating arrangement. It crowded into the rear paddler's foot room, but it's tolerable. It would be fine if the seat were moved back a little, but the kids aren't heavy enough yet.
PXL_20230416_213318608~2.jpg

The picture shows the prototype lashing. The boards across the top of the square barrels are lashed to the portage yoke and rear thwart. This snugs up everything nicely and keeps the barrels from popping up.

The barrels were each loaded with a 20lb bag of kitty litter to simulate the intended load of sleeping bags and clothing. A test flip and reentry was performed (the green unsecured tote was removed). I was able to right the canoe, climb in, then bail the remaining water.

The test was a technical success, but there was some water in the barrels. It wasn't much, less than a quarter cup. That isn't enough to flood the barrels, but would be enough to make sleeping bags or clothes feel wet.

That's all for today, field testing next.

Interesting to hear about the Gamma Seal lids leaking. I use them for various applications including holding ballast water in my tandem when paddling solo. I haven't noticed any leakage yet.

I had looked into the smaller Vittles Vaults as an alternative to 5 gallon buckets thinking that they would be more comfortable against my back in a Duluth Pack. I ultimately decided against them and stuck with my original outfit (plastic bag liners and steel mesh bags to protect against rodents.) No regrets.

Thanks for reviewing, I've been curious about those for a while. Right now I use a couple of buckets with gamma seal lids, one 6 gal one 3.5, but they're far from perfect. Round objects are annoying in a canoe.

Part 4a- Field testing - Lake Trip
The barrels were used in the Lamoille (Moose) during a long day trip on Lake Jocassee.

We launched from our campground, which required a 120 yard carry. The barrels have only indents for handles, and I wondered how they would carry. Empty we had no trouble getting them down to the water, or back afterwards.

We tied the barrels in with a version 2 lashing. A cam strap was used to zigzag across the canoe, with the board used to bridge the portage yoke and rear thwart. The only difficulty was a northern water snake who swam over to check out Moose and remind us to watch our step.

With the barrels side by side we were able to access the lids. I tossed in our dry shoes and a few snacks. As usual we carried the crash kit (first aid kit, repair kit, etc) in a dry bag.

Moose at "Holy Island", the last stop before the 0.8 mile crossing toward Fisher Knob, followed by the 0.4 mile hop toward Double Spring Mountain.

PXL_20230505_191628819~2.jpg

There was no drama on our trip. As noted in the pool the barrels took a little of rear sprawl space. It was acceptable but not ideal. I was happy to have easy to rig flotation and a place to toss shoes.

Part 4b - Baptism

The square barrels were far too long for the Old Town Appalachian. It has the thwart and seats pulled in toward center. They did fit sideways. The only drawback was there's very little access to the barrel once it's tied in.
PXL_20240203_001718362.jpg

I setup for white water with a barrel in the position shown, with an airbag farther back (forward). I paddled solo from the front seat. My preference is for airbags in the ends, but but that will have to wait for another day.

During the run I took in two to three inches of water in the top of a class 3. The floatation worked as expected. It did a good job keeping the water from sloshing freely as I navigated the rest of the rapid.

The water was in the canoe for about 5 minutes. In that time a quarter cup of water leaked in, dampening one of my shoes.

I threw a few things in the barrel for the 150 yard walk to the parking lot. This time the indent handle felt lacking, and I was ready to have it out of my hand by time I got to the end.

I, too, have been interested in these for a while so thanks for testing them out. I use pails with Gamma Seal lids and have not had them leak (yet). I'm surprised that yours leaked. Thanks for keeping us informed about your testing.

Back