• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

The little Chestnut finally got wet

Reaction score
This little boat finally made it to the water after over 10 years of waiting. The fellow we bought it from last year told us he had it under his deck for ten years, always with the intent of fixing it up. I started it last spring and finished in October after snow was on the ground so it had to wait through the longest winter to actually see water. Mind you, it was only an irrigation canal but all the lakes and rivers are still frozen and will be awhile yet, so this had to do for now.

It is a 14 foot, Fox perhaps, from the late 60's. I hung the seat from the holes for the bow seat and paddle it backwards. I didn't want to drill new holes in the original inwales.

She is a treat to paddle, tiny really and fast! Definitely worth all the work and the wait. I'm looking forward to getting her out tripping this year, she ought' a be great with a load in her. She tracks better than the Huron did and is lighter, better handling. I need to get used to the cane seat, it is much firmer than webbing and I may lower it an inch, it feels really high when sitting but it isn't tippy at all. I would still have room under the seat for my feet if I drop it. I will just need pads for my knees on the ribs.

Sweet little boat.

That is Christine, my paddling partner and room mate in the photo's. I looked horrid today and take photo's better than being in them.

What a labor of love come to fruition! It must be a wonderful feeling to have found, rescued, restored and now paddling something so beautiful.
If I had done something like that I'd have to find a way to keep it in the living room, couldn't stand to have it out in some storage area.

Poor little canoe; looking at the irrigation ditch she must be wondering if, after all the fuss of restoration, this is what life is going to consist of?
Let's hope for some warmer temps, she deserves one of those cameo lakes like we see in Robin's photos.

Thanks Mihun, great little canoe!

Rob

Great job on the restoration! Always wanted to paddle a Fox...hear they are just fantastic as solo boats.

Very nice! When I was a kid, we lived in Gimli...is my mind playing tricks on me, or did we used to call that water you are paddling on "government ditches"? That was over 40 years ago, but I remember catching pike and carp in those ditches...anyway, enough old man rambling. ps. that canoe might be a tremblay, the one we were talking about, I'll send you pics of the other ones next week, the snow is gone.

Back