• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

The key to enjoying your wilderness trip is....

Reaction score
...keeping your car keys dry!

I often formulate new canoe tripping rules based on the unfortunate experiences of other canoeing friends of mine. One recently had an experience that left me with a new Rule to live by.

He recently completed a solo canoe trip in the North Maine Woods. He had left his car at Chamberlain Bridge and had been shuttled to Lobster Lake. After a wonderful, rewarding solo trip over numerous lakes and streams, he arrived at his car, pushed the "unlock" button on his electronic key and...nothing happens. Ruh roh!

No problem...there is an actual key that works an actual lock on the door, so he opens it up and...the alarm goes off. For the whole 2 minutes or whatever, because the electronic key won't work. It eventually stops.

He loads up, goes to start the car...and nothing happens. "Key not recognized". Can't call a tow, no cell coverage!

Unbelievably, he runs into another good friend from RI who is camped up at Thoroughfare! He gets a ride into town, and after a couple tows, a bad dealership experience, and a locksmith who knows how to re-program cars, he was on his way. I don't even want to know how much all of that cost.

New Rule...besides aiming to keep my keys dry, I also plan on hiding another set somewhere in the car where it will be kept dry and out of the reach of any would-be car thieves.

-rs

Ha!

Been There, Done That!

Luckily only on a day trip. Had to call the wife to come and get me.

We now lock our Subaru manually. Open the driver door. Use the door lock button to lock the doors. Manually open the latch on the drivers door. Close the door and then re-open, this seems to turn the alarm off. Close door again and lock with the key.

Door can still be opened with the fob but the plain key works fine even if dunked.

New Rule...besides aiming to keep my keys dry, I also plan on hiding another set somewhere in the car where it will be kept dry and out of the reach of any would-be car thieves.

I bring the two sets of ignition keys and fobs, even on solo trips. Stored in different drybags.

Ummmm, confession….more times that I would care to admit I’ve paddled a mile or so and suddenly realized that my primary ignition key and fob is in some pants pocket. Ooops, I meant to put them in a dry bag.

If I’m on a trip with a companion they have my extra set of keys, or I have theirs. I have arrived at the take out to find that the keys to the downstream vehicle were safely back in the car at the launch. Or, once, in the ignition of the locked take out car.

I keep a spare key in a pouch in my PFD pocket. That helps. Usually.

I’ve told this story more than once, but I believe I hold the World’s Record for keys locked in a vehicle.

We arrived at the take out on a family trip with the van. I had my primary van keys, my wife had her set. That’s two. We each had a naked key in our PFD pockets. That’s four. I have yet another set in an essentials bag. That’s five.

We loaded all of the gear and I moved to van a couple of feet to facilitate load the boats. Got out, tossed the keys on the dash and closed the door. The key fob hit the dash a split second after the door closed, locking five, count ‘em five, sets of keys in the van.

I believe my exact words were “Oh gee wilikers”. Or something more colorful

My key fob has been wet sitting on the roof in the rain and has never given me a problem, but I don't have active alarm systems on my vehicles. In the 70's and 80's Dad just put the keys in the gas tank lid. That won't work with a lot of cars today though. I always hide mine somewhere on the outside or under the car. On day trips when I'm with others, I let everyone know where I'm putting it in case my vehicle is needed for an emergency. I can't imagine being out tripping for 10 days and getting back to the car and not being able to find a key that I took along with me. I can't imagine recreating and entire 10 day trip in detail trying to realize where in the great beyond my car keys were sitting.

Sounds like Riverstrider's friend had quite the stroke of luck in this instance.

Cheers,

Barry

Last edited:
One time I was out in the car with the dog and stopped to check a possible put in location. As usual I turned of the engine, took the keys from the ignition and dropped them in the cup holder for safe keeping. I walked down the bank to check the river and the dog climbed between the front seats, treading on my key fob. Result is locked doors with dog inside. Fortunately I had left the front passenger side window open enough to insert a stick long enough to reach the keys and pull them back through the opening. Phew!

Back