• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

The Hummingbirds have landed!

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing this posted here before. My apologies if it has been. The below link takes you to a map that is updated daily showing the Spring Hummingbird migration North. My hummers always seem to show up a couple of weeks later than the others first reported in my area. I kind of use it as a gauge as to when to start hanging my hummer feeders.

Mike

Looking forward to our first hummingbird. We still have over a foot of snow on the ground and it's snowing right now in Wyoming county, NY. I guess it might be awhile.:D

I am quite intrigued by this. Thank you for posting it. It's been weeks now that the changeover from our winter feeder to migrants and spring and summer birds has been occuring.

We had our usual influx of starlings, jays and red wing blackbirds two weeks ago (to signify the end of a very mild winter, seems they are earlier every year) and what must be a new breeding pair of Cardinals (normally I have those through the winter but not this year) and I am also hopeful of seeing our recurring mink couple occupy our old woodpile.

Love em! We typically have 20 to 30 at our feeders every year. They're a hoot to watch !!!

Occasionally, I put on one of my wild/flowered Hawaiian shirts, and sit near a feeder. Talk about "getting in your face" !!!
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Last edited:
Love em! We typically have 20 to 30 at our feeders every year. They're a hoot to watch !!!

Occasionally, I put on one of my wild/flowered Hawaiian shirts, and sit near a feeder. Talk about "getting in your face" !!!

We maintain three feeders for hummingbirds in season. They are a joy to watch, and feisty little buggers with multiple breeding pairs competing. I love watching those little fighter jet battles at the feeder.

If you want to try something in your face fun find a hard hat, an actual construction hardhat or pith helmet. Glue a piece of wood to the front, drill a hole for a wire hanger and dangle a small hummingbird feeder directly in front of your face.

Sit very still. Too freaking awesome from three inches away.

Had one stuck on my porch one spring, long story short, the bird landed on my finger and brought it to within a foot of my face, Twice before I got her off the porch.

Had one stuck on my porch one spring, long story short, the bird landed on my finger and brought it to within a foot of my face, Twice before I got her off the porch.

Hummingbirds have an unfortunate tendency to fly upwards when trying to escape from an enclosed space. They will wear themselves out to the point of exhaustion seeking an exit on high.

When we had the roof and walls up on a SE Arizona cabin, but not yet any doors or windows, friend Dave called it the worlds most expensive hummingbird trap.

There are potentially as many as 13 species of Hummingbird there abouts, and an odd background thrum is in the air all day long.

https://www.cavecreekranch.com/birds/

Rescuing them from the unfinished cabin was a daily occurrence.

Back