• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

The forgotten item

Reaction score
I got out for a little trip last week, my first in two years. I had a funny feeling that I had forgotten something. I did, it was a frying pan. It wasn't a critical item, I just had to do without fried eggs. Over the years there have been other forgotten items. The worst things I've forgotten (that I remember)were, tent poles, kitchen utensils, bear protection and even on one day trip, the paddles.

What have you forgotten?

Two years ago, I took a last minute trip and didn't use a checklist. I ended up forgeting the spreader bars for my bridge hammock. Without them, you can't sleep in the hammock (it folds in on you). I was camped about on a lake about 4 miles from the put-in. I had 3 nights ahead of me. After going through my gear 5 times and not believing I could have forgotten them, I concluded that I really didn't have the bars. Were they in the car or at home? It was 4 pm and I wasn't sure, so I decided not to paddle back to check the car. I had some aluminum tarp poles that had sections, so I decided to try to rig them up as spreader bars. Two sections together was the right distance to spread the hammock. Using wire ties and gorilla tape, I was able to secure the poles in place and slept well for all 3 nights. Lesson learned: always use a checklist. The only other (recent) time before that was when I forgot my hammock straps. Luckily I had another set (for my gear hammock) that worked. After that trip, I contacted the vendor who made my hammock catch-all (Simply Light Designs) and asked them to put a zippered pouch inside the catchall to store the straps. That (and using lists), has been working.

I forgot my maps in the truck back at the put in on a trip to LaVerendrye in Quebec. I was somewhat familiar with the route I wanted to take, but I just couldn't remember a critical section. While eating dinner at my first campsite a clean up crew came in to check and clean the site. They had a map and I was able to get a good look at their map and find my route.

BTY, The young lady on the left was a college student and the guy on the right, well, he was her supervisor. They where out for 10 days in that boat behind them. The park would send in help to portage the load and boat on long carries. Both very nice folks. I wondered what her parents thought?

_0cR5uNZDmfn7Tx9nWh2kpDNHX58uaXERatQEvdmHIVoQ1Qtit8bDwDhAyTI9TLYk4nOJIdU_0ihexn1ekaNZOje9zeyqdDaBYd317WjozFSn9QP6cDXEuvf_YbkTppM8jxSHnju6Akw7lZc7Qju6JtJYXLNIyHSPE_FJCGfPSTaa2UMkcuGUl0Fm9ZSEl2lyub1KqOiQpQw2Qqpj2LNO0Queg6QoKg6oAz5-h378ETIjuG6f4yrgeQO9keM2cYjizW4xvsjQe_QyNgo8I-UTrdcyeBGwjM_dORb6VGvKKo_v2NxrXF00k1C7d2Zht3XmmckqN8DE5SXQTJ-fmD3qzFZQmmLA1fTb5ea4yUQ46sjaYYSpmW4FkxLXYxaGcMpzYInwcm8DjlFoSPmPYaciZbuOA6W0mQZuInHCTEUiu526fDWH84wguMFIosURWSmktCoQNiXXfFsUXZbutbzH8auJDN1AIk-SPjKGQbzC2OcTB4U0xSpSzkPzlbJIBtWPEbxQZ0Mn8fADPvUJEMKwMTfvd8zahXtgGm7T7fk44leHgOfIdZ_qHKaWcrHe45A7LpTZ41KZ4KsHfKVthtlSuefdTjFrTKVFJugJ6ZWU0790wochOGtkMoz_9G5-kwpPeFjVVfasLYTP1h_Mdej5ckNxcw6txMsoMYYWEI7u3Snn9CEqyz6Aw7AekxTjzuKnyKIS3Jpj-CaMqOSOlBYJA4=w640-h480-no

I usually find my forgotten items when I'm unpacking after the trip.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that little pocket."

Alan

Water filter. Twice in 2 years. Always managed to buy a new one before the trip started. I have a nice collection going...

Pretty bad but it worked out, I went on a short 4 day trip a few years ago, about halfway to the put in (500km away) I realized I forgot something important.........PADDLES!

I was able to use my companions spares, unfortunately the only available ones were cheapo plastic/aluminum junk.

Sleeping bag many years ago- not my brightest move. I decided to bring a lighter bag after packing and the swap didn’t happen as planned. Thankfully I brought a couple warm shirts. I haven’t forgotten anything essential since.

Bob

My water bottle, it meant I had to drink the entire tetra Pac of wine so I could use the carton for my water;)

Can opener, cork screw, pancake turner, matches, tent poles, and many small items. Most can be easily worked around.

Pretty bad but it worked out, I went on a short 4 day trip a few years ago, about halfway to the put in (500km away) I realized I forgot something important.........PADDLES!

I have semi-forgotten paddles a couple times. My paddles are in a locked, enclosed box built into the bed of the truck. More than once I have hauled all my gear to a launch, packed the canoe, put on my PFD and thought “Oh, yeah, paddles”. Kinda sucks when it is a long hike from truck to launch.

Sucks worse if you hike back the truck only to discover that you left the keys in the canoe. Strong words were said, and I was solo.

On a spur of the moment night float on a windy, choppy bay with some friends we got a mile or so out and I suddenly realized that I didn’t have a PFD on. Then I realized that I didn’t have one in the canoe; it was back at camp.

I was quite comfortable in the dark wind and wave on the way out. Much less so after I turned tail and headed back to camp, muttering a fretful mantra of self invective. “You dumb crap” is less soothing than “om mani padme hum”.

I pack from a master gear list, and rarely forget anything. The oddest was on an 11 day trip in warm/hot weather with friends. I had packed an (old) spare pair of shorts in a dry bag, and brought another in a plastic bag with duds to change into at the launch. Drove 2000 miles, couldn’t find my launch day shorts anywhere in the van, so wore the pair from the dry bag, thinking “I must have packed them in some dry bag”.

I wore those aged shorts for 11 straight, sweaty days. Rinsing them out somehow didn’t help much as a fashion statement, they were kinda raggy to start with, and dang near a loincloth when we finished.

My launch day clothes were later discovered in a companion’s truck. Parked 2000 miles away at my home. Which was really odd because I had never been in his truck. Next trip together all of his socks may mysteriously end up in my truck’s glove box.

The most memorable “forgotten item” was on a family trip. 10 hour drive, and we wanted to get on the lake early without unpacking/repacking/damp tents/etc, so instead of car camping we splurged on a nearby motel room, with a pool (important later).

We put on early as planned, paddled 6 miles uplake to a nice site and met a friendly roving Ranger as we arrived at our camp. I had barely gotten out of the canoe when my wife sidled up and said “Uh, I forgot my swimsuit, and the boys swim trunks, and my tampons, which I am going to need, back at the van”

Back in the canoe and, still fairly fresh, quickly paddled 6 miles back to the van. Met the same Ranger when I arrived there, who quizzically asked “What are you doing back here already?” I answered honesty, which seemed TMI. The TMI may have been when I explained, in some detail, that this was the second time I had been sent on a backcountry tampon run.

Grabbed the needed items, paddled 6 miles back to camp, somewhat less “fresh” towards the end. 18 mile day, which was my one-day lake mileage record for quite some time.

At least camp was fully set up and dinner ready when I returned.

On my very first long trip (19 years old and 92 miles) my buddy and I forgot toilet paper...wasn't too big of an issue for me, but my buddy suffered until we got to Long Lake and bought some at the old Grand Union overlooking the water. I've also forgotten a stove, again, NBD since we had a group that covered my memory lapses. Forgot a paddle on a day trip, had to fashion one out of some deadfall.

I know this is a canoing forum, but I once went to the ski store to get the bindings on my skis adjusted and i forgot to bring the skis!! To make it worse, it was snowing on the way home and I was 18 years old and had no experience driving in the snow and drove my car into a tree.

3 hours away from the put in on a 10 day trip into Ontario from Manitoba. Left behind the toilet paper. Moss works really well and is more biodegradable. Karin

On my very first long trip (19 years old and 92 miles) my buddy and I forgot toilet paper...wasn't too big of an issue for me, but my buddy suffered until we got to Long Lake and bought some at the old Grand Union overlooking the water.

I’ve run short/near-out of TP on a trip. Fortunately I had a squished quarter roll in the Spares & Repairs bag. And, when I decided to stay a few extra days, better supplied companions offered theirs before they departed. My arse thanked you Doug.

I did make a stupid, neglectful oversight on that same stay-over-longer trip.

Lastly, why oh why, when I paddled back to the launch, did I tote in John’s bundles of firewood and a 30 pack of Doug’s beer, and leave a 12 pack of my own Black & Tan behind? Think man, think! Never leave a beer behind! You should be smarter than that on a Gentleman’s trip.

About a month ago I went to the BWCA for a 10 day(ish) solo and I forgot the tent. (yep, you read that right

A friend Vic was a masterful camp chef. He took pride in his cooking and would traditionally prepare a seafood feast on one annual large group car camper at the shore. Steamed crabs, soft crabs, mussels, oysters, clams, corn on the cob, fried tomatoes, the works.

One year Vic showed up with the back of his pickup piled high with cookery equipment; multiple stoves, folding tables, pots, pans, steamers, giant wok.

Uh, opps, no camping gear. No tent. No sleeping bag. Nothing but a massive camp kitchen. He drove the 3 hours back home, got his gear and still provided a feast.

I forget small pieces sometimes but the worst part is getting the pieces I use on the way to paddle that don't make it into the canoe. It was my insulated coffee cup this last trip.

Back