• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

The digital future of canoeing?

What is that? A video game?!? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think so, but the CGI has become so good I was fooled for a few seconds.

It reminded me of a conversation I had 40 years ago with my whitewater friends about creating a whitewater canoe experience for us when we got too old to paddle it. In those days video games were becoming very popular, as was the saloon's bucking mechanical bull ride in the movie Urban Cowboy. I proposed a bucking mechanical canoe that one could sit in to simulate bouncing down rapids, while surrounded by a 180° video screen showing rapids that coordinated with the mechanical canoe motion.

I also see this essentially happening to myself. As I age, I spend increasingly more time watching videos of canoeing than doing actual canoeing. I can see an end state where that will be all I do, and perhaps CGI videos of canoe trips will eventually become more interesting than actual videos. Look at the dominance of the CGI movies from Marvel Studios and the James Bond and Mission Impossible franchises.

Well I guess I hadn’t thought of it like that Glenn. I’m still in the “take the kids along” and pass on a love of the outdoors phase, focusing mostly on the mortgage and back to school supplies… but my time will come too.

Got to be a numbing boring game. Maybe there’s a non-violent quest involved. I’m not interested, probably (hopefully) won’t live long enough to get into it.

Back