• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

The Battle of the Birds Build

Ha ha, I pride myself in accomplishing stuff in the midst of chaos, even if I have to buy new tools cause I can't find my old ones.

Making a new paddle to go with the new canoe.
lR2KatF.jpg

zNGELCk.jpg

Been a while, but I finished the Osprey last night. Had lots of time to think on this build. Was going to minimize the gunwales, but I do a lot of roof racking on rough roads, so went beefy. Ended up using the pre-scarfed birch gunwales I had made years ago, time will tell how they hold up. If they don't, I'll just unscrew them, lol. Made a really rough removable yoke, tried it out today works real good.
TKd42e4.jpg

PKuCXCZ.jpg

FF5N7Jx.jpg

Shown below is my yoke set up, have to finish sanding, glueing and varnishing, but works good. I found these little rubber deally boppers on amazon that are the cat's rectum for holding the paddles on. I'm intending to do one carry over the ports for a couple of solo trips this summer. Weight came in at 47 pounds with the yoke on, I was hoping for somewhere just over 40, but it is still manageable if I leave the beer home.
vt4Qag4.jpg

Took it out for a test paddle just a few minutes ago, wind was gusting to 31 Kph, and it handled like a champ. Really looking forward to resuming solo travel again this summer, but will have to get my paddling muscles back into shape. I've been in regular contact with my student who is building the Raven, he is almost done as well, hopefully be able to get some pics of us on the water together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vt4Qag4.jpg Views:	6 Size:	259.4 KB ID:	113318

"Weight came in at 47 pounds with the yoke on, I was hoping for somewhere just over 40, but it is still manageable if I leave the beer home."

Who are you and what have you done with Memequay.

ps. Whoever you are, you both have woodsy skills. Very nice!

Last edited:
Nice job! I like the shear line. I bet the birch gunwales will be fine. That's a simple, practical solution for the portage yoke!

Mem If you could rotate that Portage yoke, and clamp it behind the seat ? You would have a Back rest !

Is Ash hard to come by up there ?

Leaving the Beer home ? OK Double Portage ! You don't have to prove to us, you can single Portage !

Hull weight is an evil Demon ! That is Why God created Kevlar/ Graphite !

36.5# with flotation chambers. That's close to a case of Beer difference :rolleyes:

IMG_2991_zpssjbcw13f.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2991_zpssjbcw13f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	642.6 KB ID:	113353

Last edited:
I can get most kinds of hardwood up here, but I prefer the borealis free-be, which the birch was lol. 36.5 is pretty good Jim. I don't think I'm capable of building lightweight, considering the one before this was over 300 pounds, this one seems pretty light though.

Back