• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Tarp for Hennessey Hammock?

Those line lock doohickies are what my new tarp has. They do adjust nicely but then the dillema is how much line to leave on. No porch mode you only need a couple feet at most.
Do you want a porch mode? Then you will need a lot. I think I will put a loop on the peg end and attach with a micro biner, s-biner or something similar, then for porch mode I can add another line to get the side up over the poles. Weather coming in? Undo the poles and the biner is there to attach to the tarp pegs.

Thanks, using those little tarp corner doohickey required some reverse thinking. I would normally leave the bitter end of the side guy lines naked for a tautline hitch, or add a line tensioner for the un-practiced ill-knotty. But those integral tensioner doohickies are at the tarp corner end of the line; I did not want more line than could, in shortest guise, be doubled over with the excess tied off on the tensioned guy line. Not a fan of loose dangling line on boats or gear or anywhere else.

For starters I put a Groundhog stake sized loop at each end guy line end for no-porch, batten down the hatches ^ use, and added a couple extension lines to the stake bag with mini-biners attached for possible porch use in fair weather.

Mike, this system has worked well for me in the ADK.

Main ridge line - continuous- 2.2mm zing it, 30'

4 side tieouts- yellow braided Mason line, 8' each.

I am trading out the Mason line for some 1.7mm zingit as soon as I get around to buying it. I like the waxy no tangleness of that stuff, and its yellow.

I have a spool of 2.2mm yellow Zing-it, which is wonderful stuff, 650 lb test, but used 3mm Glo-wire for the tarp ridgeline. That ridgeline does not need 650 lb strength and reflectivity might be nice if the ridgeline were set below head level.

I went with that ridgeline length, plus a couple feet extra just in case. Almost the last of the Army Green Glo-wire, with Yellow Glo-wire as Prussic loops for easy color differentiation in set up.

P7100968 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I needed to do a test ridgeline hang to determine the best no-porch length for the four side guy lines. But I did not want to deal with an armload of slippery sil-nylon, so the tarp needed to go in a long linear ridgeline stuff bag first.

P7110971 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Yeah, that is a defunct stuff bag from a small, armless camp chair, with a grommet installed on the bottom of the bag. Gobs of room left in that nylon bag, enough to stuff in the ridgelined fly, side guy lines and a few porch overhang auxiliary lines in the stake bag before cinching down the open end.

P7110972 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

With the fly set on a high ridgeline I sized the guy line length needed. 5 feet of side guy line was plenty, actually more like three feet of line staked out to a batten-down-the- hatches vee, with two feet of just-in-case extra cordage run back down each guy and secured.

Yellow Glo-wire for those four side guy lines, with a Groundhog stake sized loop on the end. I am starting to like the simplicity of those little tarp corner line lighteners.

30+ feet of Army Green Glo-wire for the ridgeline, four 5 foot corner guys, plus two 5 foot porch extensions equals another 30 feet of Yellow Glo-wire. 60+ feet of line just for the little hammock tarp.

I do wish there was a center tie on each side of that tarp for side windage.

P7110975 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Could be a (ugh) sewing job to add a simple webbing loop to each side. Or maybe one of these tarp edge clip dookickies for each side.

P7120977 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I would like to find more of those little plastic locking alligator clips. Those clips work very well, and unless the sides of the big cat cut Riverwing are set near to the ground it needs one in the center of each side to vee down and prevent wind flapping or pooling water in hard rains.

I am not a hammock guy, nor ever will be. I do camp with some Hammock Forum-ers, and have always been secretly amused at the specificity of their systems and Dutchware/Whoopie Sling/etc persnicketyness.

But, having messed around with the sons Hennessey, I begin to understand. I am reminded of the old Jeep adage; You do not buy a Jeep, you build a Jeep.

heck, I even found small reflective hair ties for bundling the side guy lines restrained in the tarp corners. Persnickety personified.

Back