• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Swift Shearwater

16' isn't too big, the small amount of differential rocker makes tight maneuvering more challenging. I would not have considered taking my Shearwater on the Kickapoo River here in Wisconsin. Your definition of tight streams may be different from mine.

Not familiar with the Kikcapoo. I googled images of Kickapoo. Looks like a pretty river. It does not look all that tight and twisty to me. If you would not take the Shearwater on it I worry about some of my tight streams. Mine are much tighter and log filled.

here's the link for the kickapoo images
http://tinyurl.com/prldtor

Thanks Yellow, Alan and Turtle.
Good info.

I will be headed to NY to look at a few more boats. I plan to make it into a cross country ski trip and canoe shopping spree.

In the dreaded world of the Internet, buying decisions are fraught with overworry and angst. Used to be if something remotely like we were looking for floated by at a good price used we bought it and fiddled with it and played with it.

Let me know when you find the perfect house too.

I've never bought a boat from Interweb research.. Always from messing with it. The first one was from a canoe shop with the suggestion that I might like it. That was good enough.Of course it was deeply discounted

Not familiar with the Kikcapoo. I googled images of Kickapoo. Looks like a pretty river. It does not look all that tight and twisty to me. If you would not take the Shearwater on it I worry about some of my tight streams. Mine are much tighter and log filled.

here's the link for the kickapoo images
http://tinyurl.com/prldtor

The Kickapoo has a lot of turns but it isn't twisty. For that you want the Mecan River.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9635607,-89.3329455,14z
Find where it crosses County Y/JJ - the usual put-in for the upper stretch - and follow it downstream. *That's* twisty.

In the dreaded world of the Internet, buying decisions are fraught with overworry and angst. Used to be if something remotely like we were looking for floated by at a good price used we bought it and fiddled with it and played with it.

Let me know when you find the perfect house too.

I've never bought a boat from Interweb research.. Always from messing with it. The first one was from a canoe shop with the suggestion that I might like it. That was good enough.Of course it was deeply discounted

We don't have quite the selection of canoes down here. Plus this time of year does not allow for testing. Thus the internet is my best option. I have bought much gear off the net, some good some bad.
No angst over this. I enjoy talking to others, prefer in person but this is the best I got right now.

We don't have quite the selection of canoes down here. Plus this time of year does not allow for testing. Thus the internet is my best option. I have bought much gear off the net, some good some bad.
No angst over this. I enjoy talking to others, prefer in person but this is the best I got right now.

Not from stores. From paddling others toys. I may take that Shearwater off your hands if you don't want it cause it might be a good boat for my dog. The Raven is just too heavy.

Last edited:
I dont really need another boat. and NYC is 400 miles away. If I could get it I'd have to store it at my daughters house and she has no inside storage. Maybe it will go poof by spring.. Too ill to get it now.

Sorry BC, I've never had my pooch in any of my recent canoes. He's 90#s and hyper. I wouldn't want him in a canoe with me unless I wanted to go swimming.

That canoe is essentially brand new at a great price. It lives just a few blocks from where I got married.

16'-18' tandem canoes have successfully paddled every twisty stream that can be paddled in a 14' canoe. It's just a matter of technique.

I told you it was pretty. I just want less weight. I went into buying a new(to me) canoe with weight being an important aspect. I'm getting old and tire of a heavy solo canoe lift onto my truck. trying to keep the weight between 30-40.

I told you it was pretty. I just want less weight. I went into buying a new(to me) canoe with weight being an important aspect. I'm getting old and tire of a heavy solo canoe lift onto my truck. trying to keep the weight between 30-40.

That's a perfectly reasonable canoe philosophy, and one that I share, but you then have to be willing to shell out a lot of money.

Or you can try to wait and wait and wait for a long time . . . and look and look and look on web sites every day . . . to find some super bargain on your favorite canoe. That strategy can make sense if you already have other canoes to paddle. For example, after many months, I found a used black-gold Bell Wildfire for a (heavily bargained) price of $1000, but I had to travel from Connecticut to Virginia to acquire it. Add in the gas and lodging costs, and the price to me was actually much higher. I wouldn't want to paddle a 14' Wildfire with a dog of any size.

I was born an raised on Staten Island and still visit there occasionally. I never knew anyone there who had a canoe. I sense this seller would come down even further and almost feel like buying the Shearwater myself. It's a very versatile long solo for both kneeling and sitting. But I don't need it.

Yup, that's a heck of a deal for what looks like a new boat. I just looked up the Canadian price for a gold fusion layup. 2095 smackers, plus tax. Website lists it at 48 pounds. Wish there was a drooling gif.

That's a perfectly reasonable canoe philosophy, and one that I share, but you then have to be willing to shell out a lot of money.

Or you can try to wait and wait and wait for a long time . . . and look and look and look on web sites every day . . . to find some super bargain on your favorite canoe. That strategy can make sense if you already have other canoes to paddle. For example, after many months, I found a used black-gold Bell Wildfire for a (heavily bargained) price of $1000, but I had to travel from Connecticut to Virginia to acquire it. Add in the gas and lodging costs, and the price to me was actually much higher. I wouldn't want to paddle a 14' Wildfire with a dog of any size.

I was born an raised on Staten Island and still visit there occasionally. I never knew anyone there who had a canoe. I sense this seller would come down even further and almost feel like buying the Shearwater myself. It's a very versatile long solo for both kneeling and sitting. But I don't need it.

I am not going to wait and wait. I am gonna buy within the next month. Possibly a rental from upstate NY. Looking at the Keewaydin 15 and possibly the 16. Not going to be cheap. I have to go to NY to visit my dads cousin, last of her generation. Plus I want to BC ski the Daks so why not buy a canoe while there. I hope to get a used one @ 1/2 price. Or there is a nice cedar solo canoe a CT member is selling. Looks nice, also up in that area. Decisions, decisions.

Believe me the Shearwater is very tempting.

Mountainman is showing a used Wenonah Prism Barracuda for $1600. That's a very popular hull but the barracuda layup didn't seem to last long. The only way to know what it weighs is to weigh it.

The other outfitters in the Dacks may still have some used boats. That's a good idea.

Back