• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Swift Keewaydin 16 -- Opinions, Experience?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a used tandem/solo canoe for my daughter and granddaughter in Florida that I can paddle with them, and that they can paddle with themselves, and that I can paddle solo.

I'm thinking about a Swift Keewaydin 16, but have never paddled or even seen one in person. Does anyone have experience or opinions on this canoe as a tandem or solo.

I'm also thinking of a Bell Northstar, which I've seen but never paddled. It's a little longer than the Kee 16 at 16-6 and I believe a little narrower.

Also a Starfire, which is shorter than the other two and undoubtedly turnier, but I don't know of a used one. In fact, I don't even know how to search thoroughly for used canoes on Craigslist or wherever.

I paddled a Keewaydin 16 for a week long solo trip a couple years ago. Very comfortable, easy to portage, and when loaded paddled nicely. When empty it felt more like a pack boat - tracked so so and in rougher water/wind was a handful. I imagine it would be fine as a tandem with the extra weight. I would try it out if you can. The canoe shop in Collinsville CT is a Swift dealer and will let you test paddle.

It’s rare to see canoes like this on Craigslist in our area.

Bob

Paddled a Keewaydin 16 for a few hours before deciding to use the 16' Swift Prospector for a 4-day Algonquin trip. I liked the higher freeboard on the prospector, but I did like how fast the Kee was compared to the Prospector. For the most part, I second what Bob said. I own a Northstar Polaris and love it. I own several tandem and solo canoes but have not used any of them since I bought the Polaris.

Check out a Hemlock.Eagle. I have been using an Eagle solo/tandem for a few years. Fantastic boat. I have compared it against both the Kee and Northstar. The Eagle wins hands down in my opinion.

Paddled a Bell Northstar over the last couple of summers for portage clearing. I can honestly say the only thing I like about it is the weight. Nice to carry, but not a star in the paddling department.

Back