• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Swift Cruisers Anyone

Reaction score
The Swift Cruiser series is a recent addition to Swift's line of boats, so there is not much feedback out there regarding their use as a lake\portage multi day tripping boat. As I'm looking for a lighter boat and my kneeling days seems to be over, I'm curious whether one of these boats would fit my needs.
Anyone?
G.

From what I have heard the Cruiser line is a little more performance oriented and straight line tracker for lakes. The few reviews I have seen have been positive. Of course it would be best to try and test paddle it in coming warm weather. I get the gut feeling it is like the Bell/Northstar Magic.

I have not looked at the whole Swift website but it seems they offer a variety of seating options for most all their models. I find it interesting that the Cruisers first came out outfitted as pack canoes.. perhaps to satisfy the go fast pack canoe market ( Like Placids Shadow) then expanding the offering to higher seating options.

I test paddled the 16.8 Cruiser during my own quest for a sitting boat that I could love as much as my kneeling solos. I didn't like it. Seemed to have a lot of skin friction so took some muscle to push it along. Although it has some rocker it seemed very stubborn to turn. My Magic is much more maneuverable. But you might love the 16.8...most of my experience is kneeling so I'm just starting to put serious time into sit-down boats. It was lightly loaded (200 pounds) for my test paddle; I want a boat that performs well with or without a load (usually a dog for me). The 16.8 is very roomy and very comfortable and very stable. And light and nicely made. I want to try the 15.8 since it looks like the perfect size for me. I've seen highly positive reviews for the 14.8 but I prefer a bigger boat. Just FYI you might also consider a Keewaydin 15 if you want a versatile, capable boat that does everything well. For a sit-down boat I ended up with a Wenonah Advantage.
20210826_171003.jpg20210901_162118.jpg

I test paddled the 15.8 Cruiser for about an hour on open water, light wind and chop as well as flat water, up creek when looking to replace my Summersong. Although built to look like a racing hull, the Cruiser seemed quite slow. Certainly not as fast as the Summersong, my older Whisper, or my Rapidfire. The s shaped gunnels seemed to really reduce any capacity for much of a load. I too settled on a Wenonah Advantage; I am too old to fully appreciate the speed, but the glide makes up for my lack of horsepower.

I have a cruiser 14.8 Last season was my first. Definitely not for moving water. Lakes and slowmoving water are where this boat shines. I like it. fast. Swift seats are very comfortable. I am geared for 5 days in these pictures. (Ambajesus lake, Maine)0605210644.jpg0605210644_HDR.jpg

For the two of you who chose the Wenonah Advantage, did you also test a Prism? If so, what swayed you to your choice?

The reason I went with an Advantage is that I was specifically looking for a fast cruising boat and I don't need the versatility of the Prism because I have six other solo canoes. It's been many years since I paddled a Prism so I'm not comfortable commenting about how it compares to an Advantage.

I have a Prism, a Magic also, but I was under the impression that the Advantage was a lower sheerline trim of the Prism...Gumpus, are you Tom on pnet?

For the two of you who chose the Wenonah Advantage, did you also test a Prism? If so, what swayed you to your choice?
Yes, I tested the Prism as well. It was close and I went with the Advantage as it has a little better glide/faster/easier to propel with aging horsepower (and I really liked its little cousin the Whisper). To me, they were equally stable and both faster than the Cruiser. Truthfully, I did have second thoughts, tho'. As much as I love the boat, it is a real handful in heavy winds and rear chop; best to just get off the water, I guess.

Thanks. I’ve never paddled the Advantage. My Prism can be a pain in the wind, especially empty, especially trimmed incorrectly. Too much weight in the bow makes it a total pig. But proper trim is essential for any solo, not just the Prism. Trimmed right (with a compliant child) it’s great though not very turny.

I test paddled the Swift Cruiser 14.8 and 15.8 recently. I'm 5'9" and around 175 lbs, and the 14.8 fit me very well. The 15.8 fit too, but I felt the wind pushing me around in the 15.8, and I was more one with the boat in the 14.8.

Both canoes were nice, and paddled well, but I wasn't wowed by them. They just seemed like nice canoes. To me they weren't worth switching from my Hornbeck New Tricks 14 for. The seat was more comfortable. But the paddle was similar.

I visited Placid Boatworks that same day and test paddled a Rapidfire. As soon as I sat in the canoe it just clicked and everything about it felt right. That test paddle made it worth it for me to put a deposit down on the Rapidfire. The Rapidfire is comfortable, roomy for gear, and fast. I was going to keep my Hornbecks until the Rapidfire was ready, but a used Spitfire 13 came up locally, and I ended up buying it. I sold my Hornbecks.

Day paddles in the Spitfire 13 have been very comfortable in comparison to the seating in the Hornbecks. The Spitfire is not as fast as the Rapidfire, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It has plenty of room for the gear that I take on my trips. Looking forward to loading it up for a trip and seeing how things fare.

Last edited:
Interesting review WB. Thanks for posting.
I have always wondered if I could get a Rapidfire across the border without paying too much duty. Hardly ever seen one up here and absolutely nothing on the used market.
G.

Interesting review WB. Thanks for posting.
I have always wondered if I could get a Rapidfire across the border without paying too much duty. Hardly ever seen one up here and absolutely nothing on the used market.
G.
I thought there was no duty on canoes between US and Canada?

I test paddled the Swift Cruiser 14.8 and 15.8 recently. I'm 5'9" and around 175 lbs, and the 14.8 fit me very well. The 15.8 fit too, but I felt the wind pushing me around in the 15.8, and I was more one with the boat in the 14.8.

Both canoes were nice, and paddled well, but I wasn't wowed by them. They just seemed like nice canoes. To me they weren't worth switching from my Hornbeck New Tricks 14 for. The seat was more comfortable. But the paddle was similar.

I visited Placid Boatworks that same day and test paddled a Rapidfire. As soon as I sat in the canoe it just clicked and everything about it felt right. That test paddle made it worth it for me to put a deposit down on the Rapidfire. The Rapidfire is comfortable, roomy for gear, and fast. I was going to keep my Hornbecks until the Rapidfire was ready, but a used Spitfire 13 came up locally, and I ended up buying it. I sold my Hornbecks.

Day paddles in the Spitfire 13 have been very comfortable in comparison to the seating in the Hornbecks. The Spitfire is not as fast as the Rapidfire, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It has plenty of room for the gear that I take on my trips. Looking forward to loading it up for a trip and seeing how things fare.
I think the Swift Cruisers are meant to 'look' fast without actually being so. At least that's the impression they left me with. Curious as to your extended experience with the Placids. I had both the Spitfire 13 and the Rapidfire, loved the look and build quality, but both exhibited an annoying tendency to skid to the left or right when you took the foot off the gas. Some folks have experienced the same anomaly, others not at all.

I thought there was no duty on canoes between US and Canada?
Duty....No
Sales Tax (GST+QST).....Yes

Sales Tax applies to just about everything, Duty does not apply to goods that qualify as "made in USA". This would include most canoes even ones where some of the raw materials used are made elsewhere (China). Both Duty & Sales Tax does apply to things like tents, clothing. footwear etc that are made in Asia.

I won't detail the common ways that some people use to avoid these additional costs...............

Back