• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Swift canoes demo day

With premium layups now exceeding $4k across the board, it was inevitable. There is a lot of money at risk with these events. Add in the tremendous increase in the numbers of tire-kickers, and the sponsors are going to find ways to limit exposure while still making money.

I dont like it, but I'm also not happy about paying 380% more for a replacement paddle, either. Stuff is expensive. It's the way of the world right now.

With premium layups now exceeding $4k across the board, it was inevitable. There is a lot of money at risk with these events. Add in the tremendous increase in the numbers of tire-kickers, and the sponsors are going to find ways to limit exposure while still making money.

I dont like it, but I'm also not happy about paying 380% more for a replacement paddle, either. Stuff is expensive. It's the way of the world right now.
I don’t agree. With the increases in price also come higher margins that should more than offset the exposure.

With premium layups now exceeding $4k across the board

Not sure I understand this. Yes, material costs have gone up. So have prices. Hence, margins and risk to them should be about the same. Retailers have always had demo boats, which they end up selling at a discount and and for which they can get tax deductions. What's changed?

tremendous increase in the numbers of tire-kickers

Well, this would be a change, but what's the empirical evidence to support this claim? I haven't been to a Swift demo day in a long time, but the general trend over the past 45 years has been a significant decrease, proportionally, in canoe sales vs. kayak/SUP sales. So, I assume that there would now be fewer people demoing open canoes than there were 30-40 years ago. Maybe that's the change.

Well, this would be a change, but what's the empirical evidence to support this claim? I haven't been to a Swift demo day in a long time, but the general trend over the past 45 years has been a significant decrease, proportionally, in canoe sales vs. kayak/SUP sales. So, I assume that there would now be fewer people demoing open canoes than there were 30-40 years ago. Maybe that's the change.
Including today, Bill Swift has been to an Adirondack retailer location demoing canoes (and kayaks) threee times since the end of May. Since I was in the market, after my May demo I bought a new Swift Cruiser canoe specifically customized to my needs, which he just delivered to me, taking only one month to build.

In contrast, although I like his canoes, Joe Moore at Placidboats will tell you it will take up to a full year to produce a new canoe for you. same for Gene Newman at GRB. I then stopped to talk to Jeff Pederson at Southern Tier canoes, who spedializes in carbon racing canoes. I asked about a Savage River Blackwater. He did not have one and said he had no idea if he would see one come in this season. On the other hand, the manufacturer, John Diller, told me he could have one to me in about a month. Sure enough, a month later, Jeff called e to say he had one. Too late, I had already ordered a Cruiser from Bill Swift that was delivered to me yesterday.

Last edited:
A year or so ago, Bill Swift told me 8-10 months. Times have changed along with prices. Frankly, I'm expecting a lot of lightly used pandemic purchased canoes and kayaks (and bikes and campers/trailers, etc.) to come on market soon.

I thought paddle fest $20 was well worth it - so many manufacturers - unlimited all day or all weekend. This $40 or more for limited manufacturers and limited test paddles is indeed silly - even if $20 five years ago is in fact $40 today.

I'm guessing the retailers got tired of people showing up to test paddle their inventory to find the boat they preferred and then buying it for cheaper online or from a place that didn't carry an inventory. So now the test paddles are for serious inquiries only. I can't say that I blame them.

Alan

I also tested Hemlock- Dave and his wife let me try anything I wanted for as long as I wanted at their demo at the park near Rochester.. for free… they even had free pizza! That was a great experience… great people. Lasting impression.

I wonder if you went to Swift if you could test for free.
After talking and working with Bill Swift on purchasing and ordering a new boat, I am sure you could demo for free with Bill if he has any choice. He, along with Charlie Wilson had a free demo day in Saranac lake at Adirondack Lakes & Trails Outfitters in May. When he went to MaountainMan Paddlefest in Old Forge a couple of weeks later, it was MM that charged $50/boat/demo. Same when he returned to MM for deliveries in early July and also when he traveled to CT the next day. The young sales guy at MM seemed to be genuinely afraid of losing his job if he forgot or failed to charge for each boat taken out on the water. Bill and I talked about the demo fees being charged, and he said it had nothing to do with requirements from him, but we both agreed of the need for vendors to have some control over people testing a boat just to get a free joy ride with no intention of purchasing anything.

I just got an email from Collinsville Canoe & Kayak that says the demo fee for their July 9 Swift Demo Day is $50! — even though the ad on their website still says $20. I would never pay this. A very disappointing development in canoe retailing.
They told me $30 over the phone last week :cautious: Does anyone have any experience with White Rose Canoe in Mass? They seem great over the phone.

White Rose is a member and has posted here via their staff member @KeithA. I've never been there but have heard only positive things about their service.
I have purchased two canoes and other canoe gear from White Rose and have had a very positive experience dealing with them. Keith is upfront and honest, as well as very knowledgeable and very pleasant to work with. I would buy from them again.

Racquette River Outfitters were very friendly and let me test paddle a couple of Swift's. Good folks.
Same feelings here. They were going to leave a test paddle boat out for me to pick up and try last last November while they were closed for the season and away at hunting camp. The weather turned for the worse and I cancelled the test paddle, these are folks I had only talked with once in person and exchanged numerous emails with about various swift boats. You wouldn't have gotten that type of love at MM, hopefully the new owners can ditch the bad rap that once existed there.

i conversed on the phone with Ann in the spring about Swift boats. She said I could come and test paddle, no fee was mentioned, although she seemed welcoming. But she did not expect to have in any of the model I wante to try (Cruiser). I had only briefly in the past had the need to stop there for odd items and they seemed to be very nice people. Later I ran into Bill Swift and he built and delivered the exact boat that I wanted within a month.

Back