• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Swift Canoe & Kayak 2015 Composites Video

Can I get all the carbon with a cherry veneer?

Just how much money are we talking for a 2 pound savings?

So for $4095 I can get a Kee 17 with the tech package that weighs 4 pounds less than my Kev Fusion Mattawa. Light ain't cheap.

Last edited:
I have a last years,kev fusion.intigrated gunnel Kee 14 in that beautiful green. At 29# it's light enough for me. I have toyed with replacing my old heavy expedition Kevlar Osprey with a Kee 15 in the same layup,but don't use a big solo much.
Turtle

I'm digging the carbon yoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhMKKx7Wzdw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yhMKKx7Wzdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a great idea - to put a pain-inducing piece of hardware on a top-dollar boat. It would be nice if that type of yoke fit a human's shoulder contours, but it puts most of the pressure on the back of the neck.
This is based on my limited experience with contoured yokes. Does anyone have any good experience with them?

I've never tried a contoured yoke but I can imagine what might be painful at 65 pounds could be quite comfortable at 30.

Alan

I love my contoured yokes. When I first made a remove-able yoke for the Huron, I used the CVCC pads and they hurt like heck. I don't have any meat on my shoulders and they dug in like mad. The second one I made I used a Teal Contour yoke and adapted it for removing. We do use a Hooligan yoke pad and I have carried that boat many kilometres with minimal pain. Biggest boat we have carried with the contour yoke went 72 pounds, but we always break up longer ports anyway, maybe 500m at a time, drop the load and go for another, work through the longer ports that way.

We will demonstrate at Marshall Lake later this year. Christy and I will both take a load, I'll walk it through to the lake, supposedly a km, she will drop at the half way point. I go back and get that while she brings the rest. Usually though the boat goes through on the first pass. My Swift is only 40 pounds so not a big deal.

No Title

Karin, did you have to pad the ends of the contoured yoke? I've seen that done.
I've also had a similar experience with CVCC pads, and my trapezius (trapezii) have a bit of meat to them.
I eventually reworked the CVCC pads but they're still good for only about 50 lbs.

Attachments

• photo1586.jpg
    photo1586.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
The Hooligan pad uses velcro straps around the yoke so it is remove-able as well. It can at times slip if not fastened tight enough but it isn't enough to really bother me and in no way would I ever spoil my nice wood yoke by gluing anything to it.

Most people using CVCC pads have no idea they are adjustable. Induce sag by bending the metal bars inward.
I have real trouble with pretty wooden yokes as they bite into my neck. Better to use a padded thwart that you can move side to side to relieve pressure as needed

As with all of canoe tripping... there is no right nor wrong way to do most of everything, it all comes down to personal preferences.

The newer ones have significantly more paddling than the old ones as well. I have an old set that came with the removable yoke on my Magic and while they could perhaps be more comfortable I don't have enough problems with them to change. I ordered a new set last year for a different boat (the padded ones) and they feel better, though I haven't had a chance to give them a real test yet.

http://www.rutabaga.com/chosen-valley-canoe-accessories-clamp-on-yoke-pads

Alan

Back