• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Super bummed.

Reaction score
Just can't get my weight down enough. The advertised total weight limit for the Old Town sportsman 119 is 354 pounds. I'm at 327. Thats better than last year (I was 20 pounds over) but still not good enough. I can't ditch anything else.

Ill be on the Rock in Illinois, and its a fairly fast moving river. I know I'm gonna sink, often. I'm going to have to stay close to shore, and have no handling, again.

I'm honestly tempted to work through the winter. I could probably buy a Pakcanoe 150 this spring. But that would mean no trip this year. And I don't want to not do something just because its difficult.

If the water was frozen, I'd be golden, but it looks like a lot of transition ice, maybe all winter.

Time is getting short for this decision. To go, or not.

I'm pretty hard-headed myself, so I know what you mean about not letting difficulty stand in your way. But, as canoeists, we need to make go, no-go decisions based on many factors. Safety is a big one, and sinking in cold, fast moving water sounds inconvenient and unsafe. Sometimes I solo in my OT Tripper, which is good for 1,000 pounds. Why do you want such a little boat anyways?

Losing weight is always a good idea.
If that doesn't work get a bigger boat.

"Why do you drive a big American truck?"
"Because I am a big American." Stuck at 220 these days.

More boat! Even if you drop 100 you'll still be better off in a bigger canoe.

11' 9" is a pretty small boat, good for fishing in small waters but not really a tripping boat for an adult male. Most canoe hulls are at their best when the load is ~50-70% of advertised capacity. You could probably buy a 15-16' used canoe for what your 119 is worth, maybe even find someone looking to trade down to swap with. If you do buy a Pakcanoe consider a 160 or 165. For reference, I'm 190 and the smallest boat I ever paddle is a 15' 4" Wenonah Wilderness. I often solo a Penobscot 16. One of my paddle buddies is ~260 and his regular solo is a Penobscot 17.

I'd echo Chip on that cold water. I enjoy a difficult trip, but there needs to be a margin of safety.

Back