• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Suggestions for a 3 person tent

Had a look at the suggested TarpTents. I prefer free standing tents but the TarpTents are definitely interesting. I presume these tents are not sold in Canada but have to be imported?

G.

I believe so, yes. Only available direct from the manufacturer.

Been using a North Face two person that I really like. Excellent in harsher weather . Lots of room too. It was a toss up between that and an MSR. IMG_0795.JPG

Gerald, this is a little late to the party but the current Eureka Timberline SQ (Sequoia) tents have a short cross pole in the middle of the ridge pole that would seem to be an attempt to mimic the old Alpine Meadows tent that Mike and Snapper referenced. The Alpine Meadows tents have a hoop across the tent that passes over the ridge pole and holds the tent walls much higher and wider than the Timberline to which it is otherwise identical.

I used to have an Alpine Meadows 4 to compliment our Eureka Equinox 6. The AM4 came up missing in around 2003 while I was deployed and two of our sons were using it for scouting outings. According to them some guy named "Idunno" has the tent. Which is especially strange as all the components had our last name in big block letters on them so they wouldn't get mixed into the scout troop's gear. I really liked that tent and still have an AM4 vestibule new in the bag and have hopes of finding an AM4 tent in good shape.

I did just buy an apparently unused Alpine Meadows 2 on Epay that came with the original stuff sacks, warranty, instruction and care cards, original inspection and packing slip etc for a fraction of the cost of a new Timberline but it took some months of lurking to find it. We can't find speck of dirt or a scuff on it so I'm happy to have it. And as has been said whomever it is that rates the number of tent occupant must be thinking of very friendly and petite people. The AM2 is bigger and has much more shoulder room than most 3 person tents of today.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Last edited:
Not the sexy choice of the masses but I would still recommend a Eureka "Timberline 4" as a good, reasonably priced three person tent. I used them for years in both my college program and guiding business and never had any issues whatsoever. I also like that the parts are interchangeable so you can rob from one to the other in an emergency. A basic "A" frame tent that's still solid and good to go. I'm not sure if Eureka makes them any longer but the "Alpine Meadows" is essentially the Timberline with a hoop in the middle to give more interior space. I had a couple of those as well and highly recommend them too. They just cost a bit more and I never figured it was necessary for my trips.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I have distant memories of both of those models, but haven't slept in either in decades. I could see using a Timberline if you aren't into lightweight of the latest stuff. It is a classic.

the current Eureka Timberline SQ (Sequoia) tents have a short cross pole in the middle of the ridge pole that would seem to be an attempt to mimic the old Alpine Meadows tent that Mike and Snapper referenced. The Alpine Meadows tents have a hoop across the tent that passes over the ridge pole and holds the tent walls much higher and wider than the Timberline to which it is otherwise identical.

I had a look at the Timberline SQ. That small lateral bar probably holds the sometimes saggy fly roof away from the tent a bit, but doesn’t appear that it would be as effective as the full-size hoop center pole on the Alpine Meadows.

That flexed center hoop made the A-frame Timberline-ish tent much more spacious, pulling the side walls out, kept the wet fly well away from the tent body and made the tent more wind resistant.

I always wondered why Eureka discontinued that relatively short-lived model. It wasn’t for stress on the fabric or center hoop wear-and-tear issues, we still use our 2 and 4 man Alpine Meadows when we want less mesh (think blowing sand or dust) than our mostly-mesh MSR or Big Agnes tents.

I always wondered why Eureka discontinued that relatively short-lived model. It wasn’t for stress on the fabric or center hoop wear-and-tear issues, we still use our 2 and 4 man Alpine Meadows when we want less mesh (think blowing sand or dust) than our mostly-mesh MSR or Big Agnes tents.
I liked my 2 person Alpine Meadows a lot, but it succumbed to the dreaded breakdown of it's coating and its flaking, peeling, and vomit smell. The manufacturer suggested that I could put it through multiple wash cycles to get the old coating off and recoat it. I did not find the removal to work.

I am taking my 2 person Hubba Hubba NX to the outdoor store for consignment. Never used. Comes with the Gear Garage which is a PITA.

Reason: not soloing anymore and its too small for two.

Still made it retails for an insane price. I just want $175

It didn't fall apart. I did.

Last edited:
If it helps any the older Eureka tents floor and seam waterproofing is nothing more than water borne polyurethane and I wouldn't be surprised if it was still in use. Forty years ago I was a independent manufacturer's sales rep for several of the Johnson companies and even years afterward I had some cooperative buying deals with the Johnson Outdoors (AKA Eureka) retail store. They we pretty straight up in that they'd be glad to sell you a little jar of sealer with the Eureka label on it but that you were better off if you could find water borne poly in a building center. It took until around 1990 before you could consistently find it and at first we had to mail order it.

I have a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo silnylon tent as my backpacking tent. On the advice of the makers the first thing I did was seal all the seams and after curing test for leaks with a hose. Later on I coated the floor both to strengthen it and to reduce the slipperiness of the silnylon floor.

Silnylon or or silpoly tent seams can be sealed with a 50-50 mixture by volume of 100% silicone caulk and low odor mineral spirits. Mix it very well until it is fully mixed. Silnylon and silpoly seams must be sealed on the outside of the tent and a small syringe made to apply lubricant is a big help in staying neat. I use one with a narrow steel needle tip.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/blogs/skills/faq-seams-sealing

https://www.tarptent.com/seam-sealing/

For a non-slip floor coating on silnylon or silpoly use 25% caulk and 75% low odor mineral spirits. See the link below and note that the same treatment is used for silpoly......

https://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

Best regards to all,

Lance

Just brought a 2 year old Mec tent back for a credit. Seams were coming apart. Now I'm looking for a 3 person 3 season tent in the $300.00 - $400.00 CDN range. Mec sell a lot of MSR tents but most reviews say that they take in water even when new. Anyone here have a recently purchased MEC 3 person tent other than MSR that they can recommend or any other tents you guys can suggest.
Thanks.
Gerald

I also would love a 3 season 3 person tent. The extra space and solidity would be wonderful for tandem tripping. Our current go-to tent is the one we purchased from you. (A 4 season 2 person MEC Lightfield.) Thank you again for that Gerald.
Our Woods 4 person tent is a whopping 14 pounds. It's like tripping with a heavy duffle bag. Actually, it is tripping with a heavy duffle bag. No more of that foolishness. But the space is luxury.
Our MSR Hubba Hubba with Gear Shed leaked from day 1. I loaned it to our daughter this summer and she mentioned the leaking peeling seams. oops. I forgot to deal with those. I will probably seal those and gift it to her. She and hubby are gearing up for a tripping life. It has seen fewer than 6 trips.The HH is light and packs small but has been a disappointment. I never could get the Shed to attach easily properly.
I'm waiting to see the eventual 3 season 3 person tent of choice. It may be elusive at any price.

Last edited:
I am taking my 2 person Hubba Hubba NX to the outdoor store for consignment. Never used. Comes with the Gear Garage which is a PITA.

Our MSR Hubba Hubba with Gear Shed leaked from day 1. I loaned it to our daughter this summer and she mentioned the leaking peeling seams. oops. I forgot to deal with those. I will probably seal those and gift it to her. She and hubby are gearing up for a tripping life. It has seen fewer than 6 trips.The HH is light and packs small but has been a disappointment. I never could get the Shed to attach easily properly.

We have both a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation Hubba Hubba and a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] generation version (I think MSR is now on Gen 3 for that tent). Neither of ours has ever leaked a drop, not from the fly, not from the corners, not from the floor. I only bought the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] one because after too many blowing sand and desert dust trips one door zipper was becoming recalcitrant and I didn’t trust it on long trips.

The gear shed, which came with the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Hubba Hubba, a REI Deal of the Day that was a steal (both pieces were less than the cost of a Gear Shed), is a PITA to put on, and it leaves large gaps where the rainfly should cover the tent body on the side where it is installed. That thing is such a nope that after putting it on in the yard I have never used it on a trip, and don’t even bother bringing it anymore.

The Hubba Hubba is the perfect size for just me, but the gear shed is poorly designed, especially if used in the rain.

The Hubba Hubba is the perfect size for just me, but the gear shed is poorly designed, especially if used in the rain.
I have a Hubba Hubba that I got as a warranty replacement for another MSR tent that was out of production. I guess I'll avoid buying a gear shed. I probably wouldn't have any way, but good to know. I have never used it because I have not done a trip where I have needed a two person tent since I got it. It looks like a nice tent though. Maybe I'll take it along on a canoe trip with no carries some time.

Back