• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

​Stuff you once took and now do not

We never leave w/o one!! Use it mainly as a sail, we buy the gust busters umbrella for golfers... They are great!

Canoetrouge, that got me thinking about what was probably one of the last times I tripped in a tandem. We had a bunch of 18 foot canoes out for a review trip and I started off in a Penobscot 18 (or maybe 18.6). Great, short-model-lived tripping canoe. I really liked that canoe.

Maybe because I was accustomed to umbrella sailing with a kid bowman, but on that trip my companion was an experienced Chesapeake Bay sailor. He understood sailing angles and wind. I did almost nothing except toss in a little paddle plant rudder now and then.

I often sneak the collapsing umbrella from the brides suv , to bring on trips as its only 18" long, but the ease a following wind allows out weights the browbeating upon return.

getting back to bacon. I don't know if it attracts bears but it is very aromatic. I once smelled bacon cooking from a campsite whos occupants I had spoken with the previous day about a 5 hour trip from my current site. I knew it was theirs because a short time later I heard a float plane taking off from the direction the bacon smell came from and that was the only lake in the area open to float planes, and there were no other lakes in between. I just checked a map and that lake was about two miles away, I would not have thought this possible unless I was a bear.

On the subject of bear bait ingredients here is what I found on another forum ( and the only one mentioning bacon at all. Usually donuts, sugar syrup honey molasses and oats are used)
2-3 PETA members tied to a tree and soaked in bacon grease (preferably still scalding hot) and honey. Their high pitched screams will resemble a predator call, which will bring in the bears, ticked off and ready to eat.

the wind blew. the poncho blew over my head and constantly got tangled in my upper arm! NO more ponchos.

Ponchos are also a danger if you dump in moving water.

Ponchos were OK for hiking and backpacking. If used with chaps or gaiters my legs stayed dry(ish) and my arms only got wet when using a hiking staff. Even then in any wind they were a flapadoodle annoyance.

In a boating application they are best suited for riding the Maid of the Mist out to see the falls.

and here today I am researching cagoules... Nice to be able to change underneath one.. Swimming , not so much

A traditional cagoule is essentially what, a long raincoat or anorak? A kayak –style cagoule, with a cockpit rand, would certainly make sense in a boat with a normal sized cockpit.

A Monarch-size cagoule would be a bit of a ballgown on land.

I know a couple of folks who still paddle (flatwater) with ponchos. I just don’t know why.

Odyssey
​ No I APPRECIATE the bear info !!!

I do feel better about others bringing an umbrella ! I thought I might be laughed at for the suggestion.
Thanks !

Jim

My son has been carrying an umbrella for yyeeaarrss, canoeing or backpacking. People have snickered at the site of it strapped to his pack but when it rains, he does the snickering.

I'm not overly fond of stuff I have to carry or hold in my hands (bags, flashlights etc); not when there's the alternative of being hands free. But standing in rain gear having the heavens gush all over you isn't quite the same experience as standing under a tarp or umbrella watching the maelstrom. Know what I mean? That Gustbuster umbrella looks interesting, thanks Canotrouge. I found one Nike golf umbrella on sale and will try it next year. If we're satisfied customers I'll likely spring for the Gustbuster. Standing arm in arm under an umbrella can be romantic ( I guess), but I'd kinda like my own umbrella space from time to time, singin in the rain all by myself.

To add to the bearanoia a tad, last week we stayed at a friends Cabin on Pancake Bay, Lake Superior. Whilst talking with the neighbour, she mentioned a bear problem in the area. Apparently, due to a failed nut and berry crop this year, the bears had found a new food source. BBQ's. The would wander down from the bush and savage the barbecues at the cabins, licking the grease off the grills. They are now habituated as they won't leave when confronted, so the killing has begun.

To add to the bearanoia a tad, last week we stayed at a friends Cabin on Pancake Bay, Lake Superior. Whilst talking with the neighbour, she mentioned a bear problem in the area. Apparently, due to a failed nut and berry crop this year, the bears had found a new food source. BBQ's. The would wander down from the bush and savage the barbecues at the cabins, licking the grease off the grills. They are now habituated as they won't leave when confronted, so the killing has begun.
Do we have the same friends? We stayed there too in July. They have a wonderful Outhouse.

Funny thing was, they offered up the cabin before we even met them. The following day we stayed at their place and got acquainted. They think highly of you and your hubby for still getting out there and getting it done.

Wonderful does not even come close to describing the outhouse. Those ladies know how to do it right. I could have just stayed for the week with no trouble.Pancake is one of my favourite spots on the Lakes.

I did of course make a stop at Canadian Carver the next morning before heading out. Nice stuff. I only came out @$50 light...lol. Pretty good for me.

Christy

I agree with Mike. The first thing I though about was my coleman lantern. I just take a head lamp and use it just when I need it. Usually to find my beer. The second thing that I do not take anymore is a butane cook stove and big pots and pans. Now I use my wood/alcohol burning rocket stove. I have a cooking pot with a lid that doubles as a frying pan that is just big enough to nest my rocket stove inside the pot with the lid on. I have a very small dry bag that contains my cooking pot. Inside the pot is the stove and under the pot I have some small dry pieces of wood, birch bark and a ferro rod. That is my entire kitchen weather I go for a day beaching or a 5 day canoe trip. The wood gives the food a great taste especially if I use apple wood. I did a youtube video on the stove and cook set. Feel free to take a peak.

Back