• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Stuck in Snow in Algonquin

Reaction score
Soooooo, we went out this weekend to Algonquin Park and this happened.
Drove up Friday night, camped at the "jump off" site at the Rain Lake access point. Packed up Saturday to make sure we could make it out on the forest access/logging road. Drove out 20km, determined we were okay, turned around and set up again for the night. Woke up Sunday morning to over a foot of snow. Got the Mazda stuck within a minute. Tried to shovel her out, no dice. Ended up using Delorme InReach to send a message to family to ask for help. Six hours later, Andrew's uncle and cousin made it in to "rescue" us in their 4x4 truck. Packed out our gear and the canoe, but had to abandon the hatchback. Hoping for a melt this week so we can go back in and retrieve our vehicle.
And here I was more concerned about the lake icing over!
Feel pretty goofy right about now, but at least we are home safe and warm.

Attachments

• photo3375.jpg
    photo3375.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3376.jpg
    photo3376.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
Nothing to feel goofy about. Glad you're safe and sound. Sometimes things just don't work out.
A hot butter rum woulda been good in those conditions.

not to worry! every year a couple of cars get stuck. It used to be even worse when you had to go over the big hill!

not to worry! every year a couple of cars get stuck. It used to be even worse when you had to go over the big hill!
Ha! Glad we aren't the only ones. Wait though, what big hill? There was definitely a big hill we drove over, too. About 8-10 km in. It's the one Andrew worried about when we went back to test the road again on Saturday. On Sunday we couldn't even drive out of the parking area.

We'll tear-knee since no one was hurt what you've got right there is a good story. And more experience! It seems we always end up with experience right after we need it.

Jim

No Title

glorious! we were up the weekend before, but off of #60...is the kearney permit station still open? if i'd known that i mighta gone back to clara, the tacoma is 4x4... :)

Attachments

• photo3385.jpg
    photo3385.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
The road to Rain Lake used to have a huge hill outside of the park near Barre lake,. About 20 or more years ago they rerouted the road around the worst of it. It was so bad that you couldn't stop on it when it was muddy without going in the ditch.

tump_lion the permit station isn't open, and none of the sites are reservable, BUT you can call the park the day of and give your credit card info over the phone, they'll give you a booking number, and you just write it down and leave it on your car's dashboard.
scoutergriz yikes. I was worried about sliding off this one into the lake on either side as is.

Back