• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Strobe Function on Flashlights, yes or no?

I’ve never used the strobe function, except to disorient myself. I don’t like it, don’t want it. My preferred UI for a flashlight is a combo forward clickie tailcap and rotary ring. The forward clickie lets you activate the light momentarily without clicking on. Press further to click on. The rotary ring set the intensity and stays where you leave it. You can turn the ring all the way “down” before turning it on thereby saving your eyes. Or if you want to try to scare that raccoon hanging off your roof and trying to rip a hole in your soffit vent, turn the ring “up” and hit that trash panda between the eyes with full lumens!!!

There are only a couple lights I know of that work this way. HDS Lights is one, and they are pricey! The other is an old Surefire U2 Ultra. Big light, big reflector. Takes 2 CR123 lithiums.

HDS used to have a rotary model that started off with a red LED and low level, then as you rotated intensity “up” it switched to a white LED. I’m unsure if they still incorporate that feature, but I think it was the best of the best.

I dislike the “combat” UI of full blast first, preferring the “outdoorsman” versions. Longtime Surefire user here 😁 They often are lower power, but are reliable and not hecho en China.

Strobe function yes or no? Anyone here every really needed that strobe setting?
Yes, if it's just one of three functions, the other two being low and high beam. It's a safety beacon or attention-getting function, not a regular use illumination function, and it's no big deal to click through three functions. I have used lamp beacon functions to mark obscure put-ins for trailing shuttle drivers and to mark obscure takeouts for trailing paddlers.

I don't own any lamp modern enough to have goonstroke's 96 modes, and certainly wouldn't want any part of a lamp that complicated. I don't have enough interest (or life) to figure out 90+% of my modern camera or phone.

Back