• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Strip building - Follow the shear or run strips straight?

Outer stems, I cut the main layer flush with the ends, While it is still wet, I lay on two bias strips. The big one first.

The inside, I overlap the two sides. I glass the entire inside, when I'm happy, I address the stems. If I try and glass the stems as I work the main layer I always get into to trouble.

Interesting. Why overlap the inside but not the outside? The outside is so easy to overlap and it gives you a double layer along the stem while the inside is a pain in the butt to overlap.

On my last few builds I've started doing the inside as two separate steps. First I lay glass in the stems, this only comes about half way to the first forms. Since I'm only working with a small piece it makes it pretty simple. Next day I lay down the full interior blanket. Since the stems have already been done this doesn't have to reach all the way to the end. It only needs to go far enough to overlap the stem fabric laid down the day before. I usually run it as far towards the stems as I can without it getting difficult to place. This keeps the seam more out of sight. After sanding and varnish (satin) it's hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it.

We need to get together and video the glassing of your little canoe !

Too late. Glassed it last night. First fill coat went on this morning. Hoping for two more before bedtime tonight. Then it can sit and cure while I'm in Minneapolis this weekend. Everything goes faster with a 12' boat.

Alan

Back