• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Strap Yoke Variation

I too have been carrying my boats while wearing a Tilley hat - that little pad of flotation foam makes this tolerable. I got a “luggage strap” from SgtKnots that I plan to cut appropriately and rivet to my Prism as a test during my Christmas Vacation. If it works I’ll get more for the Northstars.

Artistect, where are you located? That might help for a walk in store idea. I’m pretty sure one can buy seat belt webbing from an auto store. My local hardware store carries 1” webbing and buckles too I think.
Jim

I too have been carrying my boats while wearing a Tilley hat - that little pad of flotation foam makes this tolerable. I got a “luggage strap” from SgtKnots that I plan to cut appropriately and rivet to my Prism as a test during my Christmas Vacation. If it works I’ll get more for the Northstars.

I tried this strap and results were unsatisfactory.

1956A3EC-61CF-43F2-BC88-58D6E4E8B50D.jpeg

I’ll be regrouping and using some 1.5” kid carseat belting material I scavenged.

It might hold up better if the strap is doubled over on the end and sewn in the middle so the holes are held by more than the burned ends of the strap.
Jim

Interesting discussion. Living and paddling on a sandy saltwater island I don't do much portaging. The car to the water is rarely more than 100 yards. I roll the boat on a dolly whenever possible, I don't need any more back trouble. When I do carry, it's not over my head, but sideways on my shoulder. A strap through the lower gunwale and over my other shoulder helps. I saw that method described in print long ago, I don't remember where. The strap I use was picked up secondhand, it secures with velcro. It doesn't come loose carrying, but isn't secure enough to use as a backrest sitting in the bottom of the boat. My two canoes are wooden, 42# & 50#

Back