• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

steaming ribs in a heat wave

Reaction score
The temps got up to near 100 today here in Connecticut but I still managed to steam a few ribs and make some progress on my 17 ft Chestnut wood canvas canoe:

Here I have the new ribs in place and I'm using a "clinch bar" to clinch the tacks over tight after I drive them thru the outer plank and new ribs.

Here's how I get the new ribs to match the curve of the broken ribs. I bent the steamed ribs over a section of the canoe at the other end, the canoe is symmetrical, so they will match the ones I need to replace, the steam box is in the background

Here's the canoe with the 4 new ribs in a row, I used some well placed battens to help keep the original shape while I placed the steamed ribs in place. They where somewhat like a noodle, very flexable, but you still had to be careful. I broke 2 out of 5 ribs replaced. They look like they will be a good fit, it took a while for me to get things right. I clamped them in place and tomorrow I will finish with new plank and tacks.
Gotta love them old Prospectors

That is determination..playing around a steam box at near 100 degrees.

I have to ask...about those little windows. Very clever. And cleverer still how did you get the picture of the hand when it looks like you had to be at the camera? Timer and run fast?

WCHA Assembly coming up fast. I hope it is considerably cooler though Paul Smiths will now allow swimming on the lake. Gotta look forward to those "canoe accidents" if its hot.

I have to ask...about those little windows. Very clever. And cleverer still how did you get the picture of the hand when it looks like you had to be at the camera? Timer and run fast?

WCHA Assembly coming up fast. I hope it is considerably cooler though Paul Smiths will now allow swimming on the lake. Gotta look forward to those "canoe accidents" if its hot.
Those windows are just old damaged plank removed. At first I tried to reach up under the canoe to clinch the tacks....duh:rolleyes: This canoe took a real hit and lost those 4 ribs in a row. Can't wait to get it back together

Self timer and run, pose and hope for the best...solotrippers best friend.

Yes, Paul Smith's should be cooler I hope.

The other thing about clinching with one hand is it takes a lot of strength to do that! My friend Karen still remembers when we ordered half ribs for our Loon Works Tandem. She got to be the person underneath to hold the clinching bar..We owed her a lot of fine box wine.....

So I finished the ribs/plank and sanded/varnished the inside, along with this little Chestnut Bob's Special

Last night I put the Prospector inside it's new #10 canvas and stretched it tight via a come along...

Then I added some heavy rocks to weigh down the canoe and set it deep into the stretched canvas. Today I will staple the canvas to the canoe along the gunnel line being carful to remove all creases.

Back