• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Staying in shape over the cold moons

Reaction score
Me an Bogan have been snowshoeing relentlessly this year. Wonderful base with periodic new coatings of powder. Alas, the fun is over as we head back to Ohio until May. Great workout and lots of nature to study. Getting lost is easy as trails are not easily followed. This is a benefit, as it forces one to learn the lay of the land, use a compass. We had a blast just trying to stay on trails. The last day trekking was too cold for Boges, so I went out and successfully stayed on the hiking trail for the entire 2 mile loop. I now know the valley very well.F4DCA95A-B3D1-4792-90B0-DBA5FA70AD07.jpegD2F157E9-09E0-4F5D-A7AC-F342E8F5FF0F.jpegE48235BE-09D4-4B3D-AB2E-06894F3758F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't say as I've ever been lost on snow shoes. Maybe didn't know quite where I was a few times, but never worried about finding my way home. :)

I was just out this morning for about 2 hours on my snowshoes. I'm looking at property on the western edge of the Catskills and figured it was best to have them in the truck "just in case." Glad I did as I used them throughout my exploring. Probably will be my last day on them for this winter so I'm happy to have had the opportunity.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Getting lost is easy as trails are not easily followed. This is a benefit, as it forces one to learn the lay of the land, use a compass. We had a blast just trying to stay on trails.
Excellent. Keep your eyes open and brain active. Getting "lost" is just a state of mind and doing so teaches valuable lessons about self-recovery.

“Not all who wander are not lost, some truly are.” Paraphrase of a JJR Tolkien quote

I usually back country ski and do some upper body weight lifting. I have also shoveled some huge amounts of snow most winters. I always tried to be in decent shape for the start of the construction season and compared to the other guys who were all younger than me I did pretty good.

That being said, the first portage of the first trip of the season was always a shock to my system. It was a hilly half mile that I was never prepared for. My feeling is that for a trip with lots of long portages it would be hard for me to exersize at a high enough intensity to really be prepared for it. I just want to be in good enough shape to hopefully avoid injury, and I expect to be "broke in" within a few days at most.

I basically had the same goal when it came to the start of the work season. Which was to "get broke in, before I got broke down."

IMO, tripping with portages is the best exersize there is, and it gets me in the best physical condition possible. I'm just not motivated enough to do the work needed to really be prepared without the reward of being out there actually doing it.

Back