• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Squall

Reaction score
Was up at La Vérendrye Reserve for a few days. Saw a what looked like a squall heading my way from the end of the lake. About three minutes after getting off the water, the micro-burst hit ripping off some large branches and throwing them 100 or so feet out into the water. I haven't seen anything like this in such a relatively small lake. I should have taken a video as a few pictures really don't do it justice. Four minutes later it was gone and the water calm.

Attachments

• photo2874.jpg
    photo2874.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 0
Holy cow. We hae certainly had some wild storms this year. I beliewe Mem had the same thing happen to him too. I woiuld not want to be on the water when something like that hits.

Forgot to add that my little ADC wind gauge showed gusts up to 80 kph at it's peak. Some may have noticed that I also use a double blade as well as my single blades. When I saw the squall approaching, I switched to the double blade to get me into that little cove and ashore asap.

In situations like that you never know if you are better on shore or on the water.. I have been in a microburst a few times. One was a microburst over 150 mph that topped about seven 24 dbh white pine and threw the tops on cars below.. Mercifully I was in a cabin.. One new Nissan Titan was reduced to a block of metal three feet high.

In Wabakimi we took to the water near shore cause the trees were crashing down in camp.. Little black spruce but still powerful . The winds were clocked at 54 mph.

And another microburst while car camping in the Adirondacks felled a tree between our tent and the kids tent. Truly terrifying..

Once in the Bdub while camping on an open rock.. We had laundry drying on a nice day.. haha.. Looked up and saw a wall of water coming down our small lake. Thats where we learned to tie down everything including the 70 lb canoe, which left on its own for a trip

Back