• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Spirit II vs. Prospector 17

I find the tractor seats too low in my Spirit II and would like to replace them.

If I were the OP I would take a chance on the Swift Prospector over the Spirit II, especially if I already had a Minn. III, which I assume is a straight tracker.

I'm sitting here wracking my brains, and I honestly can't remember what type of seats they were, lol. Darn, I'm losing my marbles.

Curious as to why you do not want to use your Min3? Do not want to scratch it up? If it is a new one I understand.

Here is my 2cents. I was tired is toting around heavy canoes and swore I would never buy another plastic anything again. After I got into racing and picked up my first carbon and kevlar boats I would never go back to picking up 70lb plus boats. Granted I still have one plastic boat because I have not replaced it yet but it is the last one to get used. All my boats are used and the ones that go on trips do have gelcoat. Except for the Min3 that I just finished with. Do they have scratches on them...yep. But I do not try and tear them up. They work for me and make my life easier on trips. I go on the upper Brazos with flows as low as 90cfs....(TXRR will understand how low that is) lots of walking, sliding, butt scooting the canoe through the shallows. But at the end of the day I do not have a heavy boat to pick up and one that slides over the rocks easily. Maybe look for a used fiberglass, kevlar boat to use. After using the Min3 with the new bottom in it and a coat of graphite in the Texas Water Safari. I would take that boat anywhere. I know you was asking about the Spirit and Prospector but you seem like you are open to different choices.

Curious as to why you do not want to use your Min3? Do not want to scratch it up? If it is a new one I understand.

Here is my 2cents. I was tired is toting around heavy canoes and swore I would never buy another plastic anything again. After I got into racing and picked up my first carbon and kevlar boats I would never go back to picking up 70lb plus boats. Granted I still have one plastic boat because I have not replaced it yet but it is the last one to get used. All my boats are used and the ones that go on trips do have gelcoat. Except for the Min3 that I just finished with. Do they have scratches on them...yep. But I do not try and tear them up. They work for me and make my life easier on trips. I go on the upper Brazos with flows as low as 90cfs....(TXRR will understand how low that is) lots of walking, sliding, butt scooting the canoe through the shallows. But at the end of the day I do not have a heavy boat to pick up and one that slides over the rocks easily. Maybe look for a used fiberglass, kevlar boat to use. After using the Min3 with the new bottom in it and a coat of graphite in the Texas Water Safari. I would take that boat anywhere. I know you was asking about the Spirit and Prospector but you seem like you are open to different choices.
Thanks @Clint My Min3 is made from their Tuf-weave with gel coat that I bought new. I don't want to have to be repairing the gel-coat. I love it on the deep/wide east Texas rivers like the Neches or Sabine. But I don't want to tear up a boat that I spent that much money on. I took my Penobscot down the upper Brazos and it pealed a few strips of poly off the bottom. I would just like to have something that could take the beating a little better and I plan to do some other more difficult revers. That's my thinking, anyway. Plus, I just want a 3rd canoe, so I can take my whole family on a trip. I have 7 children. :)

Thanks @Clint My Min3 is made from their Tuf-weave with gel coat that I bought new. I don't want to have to be repairing the gel-coat. I love it on the deep/wide east Texas rivers like the Neches or Sabine. But I don't want to tear up a boat that I spent that much money on. I took my Penobscot down the upper Brazos and it pealed a few strips of poly off the bottom. I would just like to have something that could take the beating a little better and I plan to do some other more difficult revers. That's my thinking, anyway. Plus, I just want a 3rd canoe, so I can take my whole family on a trip. I have 7 children. :)
You do realize that the TuffStuff Haida is also a composite canoe that is gel coated?

You do realize that the TuffStuff Haida is also a composite canoe that is gel coated?
Yes. But I understand it to be a stronger underlying material. And it is half the price that my Min3 was. I guess all the videos of them abusing Nova Craft canoes peaked my interest. However, I still lean towards something made of T-Formex.

Yes, while I have never owned a Nova Craft canoe of the TuffStuff layup it does seem to have a good reputation. I would still expect it to be more susceptible to cracking from a hard impact than a plastic boat, but cracks in composite boats can usually be easily repaired.

The gel coat will, however, be every bit as susceptible to scratching as that on your Wenonah.

I have seen the gel coat on tuff stuff gouged out to the fiber underneath. If my main concern was beating up a canoe, I would stick with the poly, they can take a lick'n. And they are cheap.

I suggest taking the brand-new-canoe money and buying two used ones with money left over for skid plates and outfitting.

Have you considered a Mad River Explorer? I picked up a used royalex model in very good shape this spring for $800. I've only managed to get it wet a couple times so I can't give it a full review yet but there are some on this site with 1000s of river miles logged in one. I own an Odyssey (MN 2 precursor) and an Adirondack (both in kevlar) and have spent quite a bit of time in a royalex Spirit 2 so I'm used to flat-bottomed boats and wanted something else with the idea that bottoms that aren't flat make for a different and possibly better experience in moving water. Jury is still out but I probably won't ever sell the Explorer, even if I don't like it!

I suggest taking the brand-new-canoe money and buying two used ones with money left over for skid plates and outfitting.

Have you considered a Mad River Explorer? I picked up a used royalex model in very good shape this spring for $800. I've only managed to get it wet a couple times so I can't give it a full review yet but there are some on this site with 1000s of river miles logged in one. I own an Odyssey (MN 2 precursor) and an Adirondack (both in kevlar) and have spent quite a bit of time in a royalex Spirit 2 so I'm used to flat-bottomed boats and wanted something else with the idea that bottoms that aren't flat make for a different and possibly better experience in moving water. Jury is still out but I probably won't ever sell the Explorer, even if I don't like it!
I have looked at the Mad River Explorer, but it only comes in 16' and I prefer a 17' canoe. Mainly because I usually take 2 children along and having that extra foot gives just enough space so one can sit on the cooler. I am not opposed to buying used, but it is hard to find canoes down here. The Wanonah retailer down here also sells Mad River, Buffalo, and Old Town. He will get used canoes in from time to time, so I reach out fairly often just to see what he has. He has not had much lately. Everything is hard to get these days.

I am not opposed to buying used, but it is hard to find canoes down here.

It is hard to find things here. By the sound of it you are located in central Texas. Keep an eye out on FB on this page.
Mainly racing boats but, the occasionally a Min2 and Min3 comes across. Also post what you want.

If you are real serious about finding something message Erin Magee. She is our local boat "hustler". She knows everyone from everywhere she generally deals in racing type boats but may be able to find something. She finds them but does no vetting of the boat.

Also right now the MR340 just finished. There are a lot of boats hitting the market in Missouri right now. I have already seen 2-3 Min3 for sale.

Have fun.

Not sure why the above links look the way they do. But they do go to the correct place.

The first one goes to : Tx Canoe and Kayak Racing Gear
1658145629816.png

The second one goes to: MR340

1658145665108.png

It is hard to find things here. By the sound of it you are located in central Texas. Keep an eye out on FB on this page.
Mainly racing boats but, the occasionally a Min2 and Min3 comes across. Also post what you want.

If you are real serious about finding something message Erin Magee. She is our local boat "hustler". She knows everyone from everywhere she generally deals in racing type boats but may be able to find something. She finds them but does no vetting of the boat.

Also right now the MR340 just finished. There are a lot of boats hitting the market in Missouri right now. I have already seen 2-3 Min3 for sale.

Have fun.
Looks like you got hacked by the Chinese. Strange.

This was a good thread. I still haven't bought either. We ended up doing a kitchen addition to our house, so that's where all my money went last year. Hoping to make it happen this year. I'm leaning toward the Prospecteur 17. Just not sure how to get one down to Houston.

Back