• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Sometimes I just want to paddle an OT Tripper

Ironandwood, I also just viewed your PM and responded. Just like lowangle I do not have access to the Tripper, but will gladly take measurements when I return from vacation. With my OT Tripper experiences and recognition of the factory seat locations, modifying the seat locations would probably be a good idea. I feel as though the seats are rather high (should be lowered) and that the bow and stern seats should be moved approx. 4-6" towards the center thwart. The proposed new seat locations are just a guess at the moment without actual measurements, however the factory installed molded seats from the late 1980's would need to be replaced if that were to happen. I would actually prefer webbed seats or natural cane seats over the molded seats anyway. Just my opinion. Since the canoe is my fathers, I will not modify the canoe until a much later date, but I can guarantee that I will modify the seats without question when that time comes.

Here's one for sale in Woodstock NY, lots of potential, $275.00 (Facebook Marketplace)

"We scraped some rocks the last time it was used. It holds water fine, but needs the bottom sealed and a new wooden crossbar. It’s a highly sought after canoe, but we just don’t have the time to make the repairs. This is a great deal for someone that either wants to repair it or wants to take it in for professional repairs. Once fixed, it easily sells for over $1,000."

If I lived nearby I scoop it up, rip out those seats, deck plates, gunnels and go with all wood, then ad some old-school narrow kevlar skid plates...and paint that interior.

1648491464099.png

1648490731655.png

Here's one for $500 that looks in pretty darn good condition. Fairfax, VA. If I had the room to store another canoe....

I sure enjoyed my Tripper bought new in Spring 1983 direct from OT for $600. Owned it for 23 years and sold it upon retirement in 2006 when I went with Kevlar. It was just too much for me to carry. Well loved and well used but still plenty serviceable. I still have the new unused OT paddles that were shipped to me attached to the thwarts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15
I got mine new like 5 years ago. Was a find! Mine didn’t come with paddles. What will you do with them?

I bought a Tripper today, actually. Advertised as "mint". That was a lie. Drove quite a ways too... oh well, sometimes you just have to roll with it.

@ironandwood , here are the measurements in inches from the bow tip:
Front seat, center 60"
Yoke, center 101 1/2"
Rear thwart, center 131"
Rear seat, center 159"
Stern tip, 202"

I gotta see if I can soften the folds some. Didn't break the vinyl, no sharp edges, no kinks in the gunwhales. Should be a solid loaner boat. Even if I paid a bit too much for it.20220404_170233.jpg

Tryin’, here are the measurements in inches from the bow tip:
Front seat, center 62”
Yoke, center 101 1/2"
Rear thwart, center 131 1/4”
Rear seat, center 162”
Stern tip, 203”

Back