• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Someone should check this one out.

I did, he will take $1500 cash. He mentioned mane a "trade". I tried but he wasn't interested in another canoe. I'm selling my decked mad River monarch again. Want a w/c canoe.

Yohawk (Jack) told me he looked at it before he bought the Chum and OTCA. It has some cracked ribs and the pictures didn't begin to tell the story. Jack thought it was way overpriced ($1600 at the time) for its condition but would have been a decent buy at 1/2 the price. He showed me pics that showed more damage than the sellar's well-cropped shots.

That canoe is in rougher shape than the posted pictures show. The owner said the canoe was in excellent condition, but after driving from Virginia Beach to Ballston Spa, it was a real disappointment. It was a good learning experience. I should have picked up on some telltale signs....there are several canvas patches, canvas is in rough shape, an outer gunnel is split, several cracked planks and ribs, water leakage from the keel is apparent from the plank staining, seats need to be recaned.....but other than that, it's great!

Just curious from your experience, would you have bought it for $800 then worked on it?
I saw a seller the other day with a Chestnut for $750 I think up in NH and he was also selling a trailer and motor with it for a total of $1000.
It would be nice if the sellers were really honest with you knowing how long a drive it was.

That was totally dishonest of the guy to post all those pictures and not show such obvious damage. I would have been pissed too after making that drive. Maybe he posted it in the sporting adds instead of boats for sale to find a less educated buyer. He also didn't list the price which I thought was odd.

Just curious from your experience, would you have bought it for $800 then worked on it?
I saw a seller the other day with a Chestnut for $750 I think up in NH and he was also selling a trailer and motor with it for a total of $1000.
It would be nice if the sellers were really honest with you knowing how long a drive it was.

It's possible, I didn't want to get in over my head and I explained to the seller this was my first W/C boat. While I don't have any experience working on W/C canoes, I have a fair amount of woodworking experience (I used to make and repair guitars), a modest shop, and steaming capabilities. I understand the concepts, just no practical experience. I accept working on a W/C canoe as part of ownership. Robin had found a restored Pal for me, but I wanted to do some of the work myself. The Chum I just picked needs a little work, and I look forward to figuring some things out.
It is a nice looking canoe, until you start looking closely.......the owner had it listed at originally at $2100. I sent him this clip from WCHA as a guideline:

Basket case canoe: $Free-
$200.
Restorable, not too bad: $200 -
$500
Needs help but Floats:
$500-$700
Useable as is more or less:
$700 - $1,000
Needs nothing, daily driver,
good shape or better: $1,000 - $2,000
Original/Well known maker/ and
very nice/no flaws: $2,000 - $3,500
Special/rare: $3,500 and
up.
That's how we got to $1600.....from my lack of experience and this "guide" it seemed high, but acceptable. This canoe was in the neighborhood where I grew up, so I scheduled a fishing trip in the Adirondacks to go with my canoe hunting expedition. In the end, it all worked out. Who knows, after working on the Chum, I might be up to tackling the Pal next year......

Back