• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Solo in September minus the elegance of my youth.

Gerald I salute you. I'm about 20yrs your junior and can only hope to be as active as you two decades from now. I'm an old codger myself and your quick release seat is a fabulous Macgyver!
Super boulet mon ami ;)

Enjoyed the video. I also like putting a solo canoe on my (padded) head -- it's perfectly balanced, and there's nothing to fiddle with.

Do keep in mind that most 80 year olds only kneel if they have an audience with the Pope.

Thanks for the link Waterdog. That was an interesting read.

When I was young and recently married we were cross country skiing north of Montreal in preparation for a xc ski marathon and off in distance and heading our way was this graceful skier who we imagined was one of the top competitors out training. But no, It turned out to be a local 75 year old phenom by the name of Jack Wallberg. He stopped when we crossed paths to say hello. I asked him what was his secret for still being able to xc ski so well at his age and he replied "No secret, just never stop doing what you are doing at this moment". I took his advice. I strongly believe in the old adage "Use it or lose it".

Cheers,

Gerald

Living proof that days spent outdoors are not subtracted from our allocated lifetime.

Thanks for that Gerald. And here I am whining at age 55 over a 50lb boat.

I toast a glass of lakewater to those of the greatest generation...SKOL

mwaalen said:
I toast a glass of lakewater to those of the greatest generation...SKOL

I don't know about the greatest generation but am sure about the luckiest generation when it came to available virgin wilderness to canoe, explore and travel. In the early days of my wilderness travels a tandem team could paddle 20 miles a day for 3 weeks without any sign of civilization except for a few fly-in fish camps and all this available just 5 hours north of Montreal. Today that area has been logged to the ground and the forestry roads are everywhere. The younger generations have had to stick to parks for canoeing adventure or pay prohibitive prices and go to the arctic. I was lucky that way.

mwaalen said:

I don't know about the greatest generation but am sure about the luckiest generation when it came to available virgin wilderness to canoe, explore and travel. In the early days of my wilderness travels a tandem team could paddle 20 miles a day for 3 weeks without any sign of civilization except for a few fly-in fish camps and all this available just 5 hours north of Montreal. Today that area has been logged to the ground and the forestry roads are everywhere. The younger generations have had to stick to parks for canoeing adventure or pay prohibitive prices and go to the arctic. I was lucky that way.

Gerald - we used to have a hunting/fishing camp between Lac Moyre and Lac Villier, south of Castelveyre. Perhaps you know the area?

scratchypants said
Gerald - we used to have a hunting/fishing camp between Lac Moyre and Lac Villier, south of Castelveyre. Perhaps you know the area?

I do not know that area but I do know that it is situated South/East of where we mostly paddled. I, sometimes with my wife, paddled the area from the Senneterre/LaTuque rail line north through various waterways and finish at either Waswanipi or Chibougamou. We would take the evening train leaving Senneterre at super time going East to LaTuque. Around midnight we had the train stop at the Kekek River bridge and unload canoe and gear. We took the Kekek north to the Megiscane River and from there had a variety of possible routes north most of which would take 3 to 4 weeks.

Still have not figured out the selective quoting feature so to clarify my initial comment on "greatest generation" it could've been insulting as I'm off a generation there. Good thing we all have canoes to re-set our soul's clock. Or better yet, unravel time all together...

Back