• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

SOLD 1965 Old Town OCTA 16' AA-restored

Reaction score
SOLD Just finished this AA (mahogany gunnels/oak inwales) 16' OCTA. New #10 canvas, 4 coats of Interlux Brightside paint, new Interlux 90 varnish interior all original wood, seats excellent condition.
16' OCTA's make for a very good tandem and an excellent solo, great tripping canoe. Use it hard for years and then make it look like new for a few hundred and some labor.
$1900

Last edited:
Wow Robin, nice work!! Is That all it is worth, I see plenty of restored canoe like that go for much more in canada!!

Nice paint job, and I like the look w\o the keel.

We have the keel and will install it for a fee, but it just lessens the life of the canvas and probably some plank if you use the canoe as a tripper imho.

If the canoe is going to be used as eye candy then a keel might have it's place.

Wow Robin, nice work!! Is That all it is worth, I see plenty of restored canoe like that go for much more in canada!!

I got this canoe for a good price, it was in great shape and the resto went fast so we are happy with the price. It used to be they sold for alot more but not anymore.
Having all it's original wood really makes for a great hull to restore very smooth as the paint shows. (I sound like Shakey the used car dealer...haha)

Verrrrry pretty boat Robin. I love the high ends with the mahogany trim. I really like the colour too.

We hardly ever put keels back on either, for the same reasons.

Christy

Robin, My wife and I love that canoe and the restoration that you did on her. Beautiful job!
But it comes down to location.
MapQuest shows round trip at 3065 miles.
Wish you were closer.

Robin, My wife and I love that canoe and the restoration that you did on her. Beautiful job!
But it comes down to location.
MapQuest shows round trip at 3065 miles.
Wish you were closer.

If you have seen the used Y-stern we are fixing up in the build thread, it should be noted we drove 5236 KM round trip to pick that up in September. 14 day vacation, 10 days driving.

Love the boat Robin. You rock!

If you have seen the used Y-stern we are fixing up in the build thread, it should be noted we drove 5236 KM round trip to pick that up in September. 14 day vacation, 10 days driving.

Love the boat Robin. You rock!

Its not the drive. I own a service business, and most of my clients are 24-7-365. Makes getting away for more than 3 or 4 days tough. Another 4 to 5 years and I too will enjoy the travel for toy acquisition. Power plants and refineries don't care if I have a new to me canoe. At this point the responsibility to clients mandates the schedule.
And I could be very happy with either Robin's Old Town, or your Y-stern.

Last edited:
That is a sweet canoe, nice work Robin. Are those little diamond shaped wood inserts in the gunnel above the seat stays? Or are they brass?

That is the style of bolt OldTown used for hanging the thwarts and seats Brad. Mostly you see a lot of carriage bolts on other canoes, but Old Town did their own. Quite distinctive.

Christy

You can still get the 4" Diamondhead bolt but not the 6" from what I have heard. There may be someone making the 6" in a shop somewhere but not to my knowledge.
I know some folks buy old Old Town basket case canoes just for the bolts.

A beautiful boat, great job. Wish I were younger when 65 lbs didn't sound like such a chore to portage.

Back