• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Snake ID

Reaction score
I saw this guy yesterday at my place in the Poconos. He looked poisonous and I thought copperhead, but he didn’t look like the picture. Any idea what he is? He was about 18” long. 1C03047A-8DBB-48A4-8342-822323D378A5.jpeg

I've never heard of a Brown Snake before but I believe it's a Female.
Rapidly tapering tail behind the vent. Males have (ususally) a longer
tapering tail.
Larry S

Not a Copperhead. The back patterns are way too small and delicate for either an Eastern or Northern Copperhead. Pretty snake though.

Last edited:
It is not a copperhead. It looks like a DeKay Snake to me

Jack L

You can tell if it wants to hurt you by looking at its face.
As I get older, I tend to rely less and less on this method as I've found I need to get closer & closer to see the snake's (assumed) intent. I wind up well within striking distance before I can look 'em in the eyes.

You can tell if it wants to hurt you by looking at its face. Vipers have pits.

Except for coral snakes, which are not pit vipers and live all over Florida and much of the American South. Coral snakes also need a different type of antivenom than the generic CroFab that works for American pit vipers. Here are some visual ways to distinguish a pit viper from a non-venomous snake.

Snake ID.jpg

Snake ID2.jpg

Here is an eastern coral snake:

eastern_coral_snake.jpg

Poisonous or not I'm always on the lookout for snakes when walking outdoors. I'd hate to step on one and get bit, by even a nonvenomous one. I just realized I am 50 years snake free. I used to catch and handle them and kept a couple as pets, until I had an incident.

Back