• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Show pictures of your tent(s) on a canoe trip

The morning after. Coffee is nearly ready. That's good 'cause I'm nearly out of wood.
windy camp.JPG - Click image for larger version  Name:	windy camp.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	117801
The wind is now steady from the east. It went down overnight to -5C. The tent fly was frozen in the morning. I'd pitched the tent perpendicular to the west (and east) winds so we stayed nice and cozy inside. The vestibules held night time essentials, boots and socks, tp, trowel, and hand cleaner (there was no thunder box on this site)...I waited until the winds abated around midnight to crawl out of the tent for a bathroom break. The frozen fly felt like cardboard. I stood in our clearing and did some star gazing. Had a thought of sitting in my chair under the bright moon and stars but a breathe of wind convinced me to head back indoors.
Only minutes before getting out of my chair to snap this photo I had been sitting next to my wife watching the coffee perk and pointing at the tent saying "See where the fly seams have been resealed around the vents? That Gerald sure took good care of this tent."

Last edited:
IMGP0379.JPG
I have had quite enough of camping on boulder fields, thank you. Northface VE25 4 season tent, because we were spending a month in the arctic. Guess what? The arctic was on fire and it was generally in the 90's every day and through the night too.

Attachments

• IMGP0379.JPG
    IMGP0379.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 4
No doubt it is in good hands and will serve to shelter you guys for quite a while yet. Yes, the second photo looks better. Kind of wondered what had happened in first pic. Nice to see her still standing tall and firm.
May you enjoy many more nights in her.
G.

Group tent at Inlet campsite, Round Pond, Allagash Waterway, 1967

Made from 4 US Army GI shelter halves; each of us carried a shelter half which, when buttoned (yes, buttoned!) together with a buddies half along the ridgeline created a pup tent. In this case, we lifted the sides of two adjacent pup tents and joined them over a new ridge of lashed branches. There were probably 8 of us sleeping under there. Happily, no rain!

PICT0035.jpg

Slow on the draw here. Been dreaming of open water so sure, here are some tent pics.

Hilleberg on the Tatsenshini. Cheated a bit .... floated there in a raft. Tarped because it is a temperate rainforest.

HIlleberg Tatshenshini.jpg

My go-to Bearpaw Pyramid on the Delta. Roomy, bomber, light weight.

bearpaw Delta River.jpg

Serenity Shelter bug tent on the Noatak, Gates of the Arctic NP. Looking a little lonely, or lost, in that landscape. Going back there four months from now!

serentiy noatak.jpg

Hope you enjoyed,

Monel

Attachments

• bearpaw Delta River.jpg
    bearpaw Delta River.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 8
  • HIlleberg Tatshenshini.jpg
    HIlleberg Tatshenshini.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 6
Iskweo, the tent photo above is small in the thread and too large in the photo link, so I copied the link version into my Flickr account and then linked to that copy to see if this will work... well, it works, if the "medium" size is selected. Hope that's OK, I wanted to see if it's possible to change the size. I've removed the copy from my Flickr photos. Nice tent, I also use a two-person solo.

Rick

PS... right-clicking the photo into a new window shows a larger, more detailed version, still, smaller than the linked size in the above post... not sure why that happens and which is the "medium" size...

Click image for larger version  Name:	50938850621_8983d3a2a1_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	644.1 KB ID:	121782

Attachments

• 50938850621_8983d3a2a1_o.jpg
    50938850621_8983d3a2a1_o.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 5
Iskweo, the tent photo above is small in the thread and too large in the photo link, so I copied the link version into my Flickr account and then linked to that copy to see if this will work... well, it works, if the "medium" size is selected. Hope that's OK, I wanted to see if it's possible to change the size. I've removed the copy from my Flickr photos. Nice tent, I also use a two-person solo.

Rick

PS... right-clicking the photo into a new window shows a larger, more detailed version, still, smaller than the linked size in the above post... not sure why that happens and which is the "medium" size...

filedata/fetch?id=121782&d=1613223542
Posting photos on this forum use to be so easy and simple.... not anymore

Easiest and quickest way to post photos here, for me anyway... I thought I had something quick previously, Alan Gage showed something even easier.

- store photos on Flickr, find the photo and open in new window

- hit the "share photo" button (the arrow symbol below)

- copy the url info in BB code that appears (several lines).

- paste this into the post text.... no need to mess with the image option in the menu above the text box where maybe complications begin.....

....anyway, snow showers over Lake Ontario, Toronto waterfront.... brrrr.

It was very windy and the only flat, sans widowmaker place was rather exposed, so I put the canoe at the back of the tent, gunwhales on the (burried) rear tent pegs. Worked pretty well. Odd seeing paddles and bilge debris out the back window.

IMG_20210501_171246926_HDR_tent_wind.jpg

A recent thread asked about recommendations for a tent. I realized that, from the digital camera and photo site age, I only have pictures of my newest tent, the three-person Nemo Losi 3P, which I highly regard.

Show us pics of tents your tent(s) on a canoe trip or near water. Please tell us what kind of tent it is and the location. And maybe something about the features of the tent that you like or dislike.

These four pics are all in the Adirondacks on a solo trip from Blue Mountain Lake to Tupper Lake.

Raquette Lake on a very hot evening with fly drying in background:

Forked Lake at unofficial campsite just after rain:

Long Lake:

Inside tent facing mesh wall of pockets:

View attachment 111609
North Face Stormbreak 1

Attachments

• 0605210547.jpg
    0605210547.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 6
BEAF5E5B-EC12-4C3F-A305-6170EA6609C7.jpegCanoe trip in Killarney, ON first week of October 2018. The wife and I had a nasty snow squall with little waves on our paddle back to the car. The temp dropped lower than expected and the wind picked up more than I was hoping for on her first backcountry canoe trip in Canada.
C74946A2-3831-4D1B-A442-F9BC8E4AA5A1.jpegFirst week of April on Lake Superior, paddled from Old Woman Bay to Cold Water Creek. (Kayak trip 2016). We had some sketchy moments and plenty of fun ones. Moose and bobcat tracks went through our camp on the last night, which ended up being a 5 am wake up call to break down camp and get in frozen gear and on the water before the big storm came. We paddled through 8 plus foot rollers for 5 miles before riding surf and beaching ourselves in shore.

Hmmm. Seems to be a similar pattern on my trips…..

Dan Durston X-Mid 1 on St. Regis Pond, late September 2021. Anticipating an after-dinner tea & honey. I rigged the tarp fully over the tent as predicted heavy downpours were on the way. The storm did not disappoint. It rained in Biblical proportions for several hours, and though I stayed dry the din of the downpour on the tarp had me wishing I had brought foam earplugs!tempImagegyNr4h.png

Back