• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Shirts for canoeing and canoe camping

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It may vary by season, and if so explain, but what features do you want in a canoeing and camping shirt—pockets, collars, sleeves, elbow patches, shoulder straps, fabric type, bug repellent (permethtrin treated), none of the above, or what else?

Also, is it worth buying expensive, name brand shirts or just something cheap? If you like certain brands or specific shirts, provide links if you have them.

My normal attire when canoeing2022-10-14~2.jpg
Except I might wear a different hat. I like quick drying shirt and shorts. Bugs aren't a problem around here, so I would have to learn what to wear if I was in that type of environment. If it's cold outside I wear what ever is warm, comfortable and doesn't soak up water. Light wool socks with the NRS brand neoprene boots.IMG_20221020_162226603_HDR.jpg

I'm not a stylish type of person. I don't care about fashions.

Stanfield's Merino Top

I start and often end with that. If it's a little chilly, I'll throw on a poly blend work shirt like this: Big Bill

The thin merino wool is miraculous stuff - wicks sweat (and I sweat a lot), stays comfortable, and doesn't induce retching after day 5.

I avoid tripping during the summer (I can't stand the heat), but during warmer, shoulder season days, and once the sun is overhead, I'll swap out the merino for a technical, short sleeve shirt. I have an old North Face, but it appears that they've stopped making most of their useful stuff: canoehead.jpg

60/40 polyester/cotton, button-down, long-sleeved, checkered shirts from Goodwill. Reasonably fast drying, excellent sun protection even for the lower part of the neck, and the checkered pattern hides the bush glaze somewhat. Did I mention affordable?

Similar shirts to Robin. Specifically Duluth quick dry vented fishing shirts (lots of pockets with roll up sleeves) and Pendleton wool shirts. Layered with merino wool base layer as needed. If it is really cold a wool sweater as well.

For pants I like Duluth quick dry and their lined fire hose pants when cold. I have a couple pairs of Fjallraven pants and while they are well made I don’t think they are worth their price.

Bob

abundance of biting insects and over accumulation of solar radiation in my skin usually finds me in vented long sleeve shirts these days. Accordingly I do have a variety of "designer" hunting and fishing apparel but can be seen in plain cotton and flannel too. I tend to favor somewhat loose fitting button down varieties, but pull over hoodies of light SPF50+ material are some of my favorites too...

Attachments

• IMG_9790-1280-1024.jpg
    IMG_9790-1280-1024.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 10
I always wear a cheap t-shirt (something like 50/50 blend) as a base layer. If it's chilly enough or buggy enough I'll wear a long sleeve shirt over that. It will be a synthetic that is at least somewhat insect resistant. Arm loops that allow rolled up sleeves to be tied in position are nice. Don't care about pockets.

Alan

I wear a merino wool t-shirt, no pockets, no name brands or logos. I also have a mid-weight, long sleeved merino wool shirt which I'll wear over it for cooler temps and I top it all with a good rain jacket if I need something wind / rain proof.

I don't have a real need for pockets as I've taken to wearing Boy Scout pants; lots of pockets and the legs zip on / off.

The 2 wool layers & rain jacket combo seem to be all I need to be comfortable but I'm not one for laying around camp. On chilly days I tend to move faster instead of layering up.

The downside, of course, is cost. The wool shirts were $50-60 each (without fancy logos) when I bought them several years ago but I only own 2 t-shirts & 1 mid-weight so it's not too bad. I'll usually wear the same t-shirt for a week or two and retain the other as back-up. As Scratchy noted above: miraculous stuff indeed; I've sweated in the same t-shirt for 2 weeks or more & left the woods smelling like wood smoke instead of filthy human.

I can't speculate on the value of name brand vs generic as I bought generic and haven't worn them out yet.

My wife shops in her favourite French boutique for everything from lightly loved sweaters to tested trusted coffee pots.
I shop in my favourite haberdashery for similar things. In fact they're the same store, it just depends how you (mis)pronounce the name.
And from one week to the next you never know what you'll get there. Patience is indeed a virtue. Over time I have scored some brand name finds there, almost as if they're waiting on the rack for me, and despite the fact I am waaay under 6 ft tall and waay over 20 yrs of age.
I've put aside a set of tripping clothes from these successful bargin hunts, some new, some old.
1 set of polywhatever base layer and 1 pr wool socks for sleeping (new)
1 pr of long pants and 1 long sleeve buttoned shirt, both in cotton/poly blend quick dry
1 pr cotton shorts
3 prs quick dry undies (new)
3 prs polywhatsit socks (new)
1 set of rain gear, coat and pants
1 merino wool sweater
1 pile jacket
1 tuque, 1 brimmed hat (new)
2 prs leather gloves

Last edited:
When I need more than a merino t-shirt, I'm wearing a traditional wool shirt: Filson, older Woolrich, Johnson Woolen Mills.

I like 100% wicking materials. I like a high quality shirt - I have many that I've had for 20 years, and others that don't make it far. If I am buying a shirt I must like it so the longer it lasts the better I guess.

it really depends on the season... In spring and fall it's usually a fleece shirt ranging from lightweight to polar weight and sometimes with a merino undershirt, once it starts to warm up and the blackflies come out I switch to a used, good quality long-sleeved dress shirt that's woven tight enough to frustrate them, followed by one of my collection of "vintage" NF, Columbia, or timberline short-sleeve bush shirts in various combinations of cotton, polyester, or 60/40 cloth depending on summer heat and humidity.

Cape Sable March 06 137.jpegIMG_7382.jpegAlthough I’ve taken an assortment of wool shirts and sweaters this is the first and only shirt I bought specifically for canoe tripping.

I bought this shirt in the early 90’s from the discount corner at REI. It’s lightweight nylon and gives good bug, sun, and wind protection. It also has a zippered breast pocket that keeps essentials from falling in the water.

It was two or three sizes too big at XXL Tall, but the price was right. This large size was actually a good thing. As a windbreaker it fits over all of the wool layers I can get on and even over my down jacket. The long length gives privacy if I need to change you pants in a mixed group. I never tuck it in, 99% of the time I tie the ends at my waist so they don’t drop onto the water while paddling.

As the photos show it is great for hot weather tripping (Everglades 2007) as well as cold and windy (Alaska 2023)

I have long favored low cost outdoor clothing and generally buy nothing unless it’s on sale. My long time favorite tripping shirt is an REI shirt I got on a close out rack many years ago. It is well broken in and refuses to die having been used for probably close to 20 years. I also favor military surplus BDU pants. I purchased a few pairs through the years but a nephew who retired recently after 20 years in the army has stocked me up with enough pants for the rest of my tripping days.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 6
Thinking of this topic reminded me of a Canadian friend. When he lived in Toronto in a gentrifying downtown neighborhood he was near a Goodwill store. Through the years he found many very good deals on outdoor clothing and equipment. It seems the yuppies cast off name brand clothing when it was no longer fashionable.

Summer - just a life jacket if I'm on a river where I can keep out of the sun. Otherwise a long sleeve "rashy", AKA polyester, for sun protection.

The rest of the seasons my first choice is a silk base layer. But silk is expensive, and a decent polyester/raylon/etc is nearly as good. After that layers as appropriate, of some quick trying fabric.

I'm also a fan of thrift stores. Most of my daily ware isn't really appropriate for paddling, and I hate to drop big money on something just to crash through the brambles or splatter mud all over it.

My most loved item during mosquito season is "The Original Bug Shirt".
My wife has worn them for about twenty years. I finally got one a couple years ago, and I love it. For me it's a game changer for a couple months a year.

Thinking of “The Original Bug Shirt” which I have one of, it’s probably one of the more pricey outdoor clothing items I have ever purchased. I bought it probably about 10 years ago at Canoecopia during a year when I worked at the show so I got the employee discount but it was still pricey. It is a very well traveled item, having been on many trips without ever having been used. I have found using a head-net was sufficient for me.

Back