• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Secrets to cam strap storage?

I bought six NRS straps. They came in a 6"x10" ish ditty bag. They live in that bag and never tangle

Big Al, that throwbag-sized stuff sack as cam strap receptacle is essentially what I thought of when Odyssey mentioned throw rope bags.

If I took a throw rope sized ditty bag, without the grommet in the bottom, and throw-rope-style random laid the cam straps in that bag one at a time, starting with the bitter end of each webbing strap and ending with each cam buckle dropped in the ditty bag, could I simply open the bag, grab the top cam buckle of each and pull out one at a time untangled?

That seems too Captain Obvious no-coiling simple a solution, but if that works it would be a quick and easy solution for folks who use frequently cam straps.

Anyone for a little French Whipping?

Will you wear that sexy maid’s costume again?

I purchased a pair of NRS after witnessing the failings of an inferior product. A pair of thinner narrower cam straps lasted 1 season, for me that's no more than 2 trips. There was no catastrophic collapse, just the frazzling of the strap end and a disturbing amount of stretch. Having lots of extra length I thought I could just trim and seal it and keep a close eye on it in the rain. But no, it seemed bent on self-destruction, which it accomplished. I still have it in a bag somewhere as a just in case I'm desperate to need it scenario. The NRS is unfazed by the rigours of canoe car-topping. Practically indestructible. Ya get what ya pay for.

Last edited:
I roll mine up and store in a sack. Takes about 20 seconds per strap. The later versions have the strap length cast into the side of the buckle.

Those NRS straps are pert near indestructible. We have used them with our Tacomas to pull cars out of ditches and out of the Cheat Canyon takeout. just 2 weeks ago I heard a sound coming from my Tacoma so I pulled over and saw my nearly full gas tank was falling out. The straps were rusted through. No problem, pulled out a 9 footer and strapped it up well enough to keep going until new ones were delivered.

Stay Well
Barry

Just slide the rubber protectors back off the buckles enough to slide the strap through then it works.

Kayak_Ken (in a canoe)

Yeah but it doesn't work if you have the rubber protectors on the buckles. :(

[/QUOTE]

Mine don't slide off.

A related comment-after an old strap broke while racking my canoe and scared the stuffins out of me, I now replace them regularly.

As an arborist and avid outdoors person, I use ropes and knots daily. But you’d be surprised what you can come up with on the go or with thought for a cam strap. I’ve used them to not only secure boats and boards. But for hammock straps. To pull boards together while building a deck. Pull trees together to install cabling for support. Used to lash gear down. A lot of good reasons where rope will dog in.
when I’m done, I daisy chain them and keep some in my car, some in my paddling bag and retired cam straps for bikepacking gear. I’ve picked up on quite a few knots in my life so far, and many to come. Tricks from tree work, scouts, paddling and fumbling around have all crossed paths. But one thing that’s true for me, they get used. And, they’re nice to show rookies how to use them versus explaining a truckers hitch or two half hitches

But, man do they add up fast somehow!

I couldn't even remember how I handled my straps since it's apparently become subconscious so this week I paid attention to what I was doing. Turns out I always grab the buckle with my left hand, then grab the strap near the buckle with my other hand and pull the strap by the buckle until it's about 3 feet between my hands, Then I put my hands together and grab the length of strap with my buckle hand...and repeat. So I end up with a loose strap bundle about 3 feet long and I fold it in half again and set it down. It takes about 2 seconds per strap and the loose bundle also makes the strap really easy and fast to use next time.

Y'know.....it takes less combined time to shake the loops out of those straps than it does to roll 'em up. At least, it does for me. I quit rolling 'em years ago (Yeah, I know the trick. Looks faster when you use short straps, eh?) I'm with Glenn. They live in a bin in the back of the rig. Sometimes, when I'm on the water often, they don't even make it into that. If I roll 'em up, it's just to show off. ;)

mine just live in a bucket at home, or under the seat. It's easy- grab one, count the hooks- if the count equals 8 (2 per strap) I'm good, more or less grab again and give 'em a shake:rolleyes:

Hi,

This is a fast way, to coil and store straps, that I usually use. Comes in handy tripping with groups, when you have to handle that pile of straps after emptying a full trailer of canoes..

and

a short video on how to coil them.

https://youtu.be/yxSqt0lCb1I

Per

Attachments

• photo16592.jpg
    photo16592.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back