• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Seasonal withdrawal

YES ! Just this afternoon I told the wife how I dreaded the Winter and miss the chance to go North on a trip. This past Summer has been one of my best years for trips to the Adirondacks. I was there almost two weeks every month from May to October
With the new canvas wall tent and wood stove I hope to get a jump on next season getting out there right after ice-out.

I used to keep the canoeing season going well into late fall and winter but now I have other things to keep me outside. Fat bike riding, squirrel hunting, day hikes, and early season alpine skiing. Still, putting the canoes away for the winter isn't something I look forward to.

I'm in between Maine and Florida, but much closer to Maine. All of my paddling is off season, I sail my ketch in the summer. Most of my paddling is on salt water, so the season lasts through any but the coldest winters. Last year I paddled for the first time in a full wetsuit on a day less than forty degrees.

This entire year was a write off. Blew out my shoulder in May just as I was preparing for my first trip of the year. Was demoralizing having to pack my stuff back away with one arm in the sling. Concluded the injury was severe enough and cancelled all my other planned trips. Had surgery in July. Now in the 3rd month of recovery. Canoe never made it out of the garage.

Now I’m focused on getting through Christmas. Then once January hits I start planning trips for the upcoming summer. Canoeacopia in March feeds the anticipation some more.

Sometimes the lead up to a trip can be almost as good as the trip itself.

Just saw that the water in the BWCA is still soft and probably going to be that way for another 10 days or so, I think I will postpone my withdrawal and head up there next week as a warm front appears to be moving in.

This last season I only did two day trips with MDB, those two reinforced the notion that there would be NO wilderness paddling/tripping…currently 10 days into recovery from a bionic shoulder implant.
So, no end of season withdrawal, that happened back in June.
I generally don’t mind the end of paddling season, since it means ski season is not far away, skiing is IT for me.

Got out on the very low river, yesterday !
Saying prayers for the second Indian Summer !

Yeah, I miss the sunshine.

I've been thinking it would be good to do something outside the week of the solstice. It would have to be within driving distance to North Carolina. But I don't want to go so far south there are a bunch of gators.

Paddling is about over for me here, though I have a little glimmer of hope for a nice Indian Summer day before the imminent freeze. Gets dark too early for my after work outings, even though I'm done by around 3:00.
Then it's waiting for snow, and it takes a while for decent cover in the woods. Meanwhile, I just get out and walk the woods when I can.

I put my w/c boats away for the season and took out my Seliga which spent the summer in the basement away from the sun.

I'm going back to Ak. this week where I'll probably have withdrawls from not living on the lake.

Here in Cleveland, as long as the lake is calm, we will layer up and do a bit of sea kayaking on Lake Erie. It’s especially interesting once we get a little ice on the lake. It’s as if we’re paddling with mini icebergs. Ice in the lake is increasingly rare however.

We do most of our backpacking and trail running in the winter and x country ski any time we can, so we get our daylight and outdoor time.

Back