• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Save some time for NEXT Aug (2016)

Reaction score
The Allagash Wilderness Waterway turns 50.

According to Trevor O'Leary at Michaud Farm there will be some form of celebrations (as yet to be determined) at Allagash Village, Michuad Farm, Churchill Dam and at Chamberlain Bridge.

Clear Cedar has been donated by a logging company and Jerry Stelmok will build a canoe with it. What is to be done with the canoe when finished has also not been determined.

Trevor gave me his email address and will keep me posted.

The anniversary celebration will be in the town of Allagash on the 20th of August 2016.

I actually bought the NFCT maps for the Allagash a few weeks ago. Trying to get out there possibly next July or early August. Wanted to try the BWCA but it's to far to travel to for now. Thanks for the info.

The closest park other than the Adirondacks might be La Verendrye in Quebec or Algonquin in Ontario; both one day drive rather than three each way. Both rather BWCA like, the former much less of a hassle. No reservation. Just show up and go after getting your permit at Le Domaine. Allagash is nice, but can get expensive if you need a shuttle. And that takes a whole day. Shuttle rates depend on how many parties share your shuttle.
I am not being a sourpuss. Just budget ahead.

Allagash Wilderness Waterway Camping Fees: Resident $4.00 / Non – Resident $8.00.
• North Maine Woods charges a one time access fee: Resident $7.00 / Non – Resident $12.00.
• Chase Rapids: For a fee of $10.00 the Ranger will shuttle your gear and canoe around the rapids.
Most folks shuttle from Allagash Village to their starting point but you can start somewhere and arrange for a pickup of your vehicle. If you park in the Village, its a two dollar a day parking charge.

I bet that the street of the village ( pop 239) will be jammed Aug 20

Events listed for the AWW 50th celebration coming up this summer!!
EVENTS
Guest speakers – TBA
An ongoing Waterway
lm show, featuring old logging footage
A paddle and pole canoe event – from West Twin Brook to the Town of Allagash
Bean supper
Landowner stake holder booths
Smokey Bear appearance
Special music
Flag ceremony
At Michaud Farm Ranger Station– about 12 miles upriver from town Artifacts on display
Lombard Log Hauler exhibit
Blacksmith demonstration

It would be fun to have a "gathering" and finish up in Allagash Village on the 20th.. I just might do a trip . I would like to start from Chamberlain Bridge.

See you at the end, I just made reservations with Norman for the weekend.

Last edited:
We are having domestic discussions. Tonight the treaty is we take two solo boats. And put in at Chamberlain Bridge and have Norman pick up our truck and take it to the end.. We could easily add the canoe trailer and four boats to the bargain. We'd like to lollygag and take lots of photos so launch would be Aug 10-11.

I am very focused on getting a good shot of the Milky Way from Round Pond as the first trip we took there I was photo ignorant but did recognize it in my face. Now I have the photo equipment.

Last edited:
Here's another article about the river and some of it's history.

One of the interesting (?) points in the article discussing the diminishing number of paddlers on the WW

"(Kale) O’Leary even suggested courting millennials and professionals with pay-per-use cellular and WiFi hot spots at AWW ranger stations (he actually doesn’t much like the idea, and LaRoche says it’s an unlikely one). "

Please don't.

http://downeast.com/allagash50/#.VxdsfT7JD_c.facebook

Where's the S in the river shot taken? Above Cunliff?

Last edited:
I drove up for the festivities at Churchill Dam this weekend. There was a lot of people for that far in the woods. I talked with the great, great,...? grandson of Alvin Lombard. I talked with a guy who claims to have been at the Engine House in 1966 on the day the they did not accidental burn.
Ranger O'Leary and his new toy

The 50th Anniversary Canoe arrives

The Superintendent of the AWW, Mat LarRoche cleaning the canoe.

Camping in the field

People in the dam watching the Huey do a water drop

The whole crew

Aug 20th Michaud Farm and Allagash Village.

I recognize those stands ! Sharp !
​No doubt increased the auction bids !

I the words of the Superintendent of the Waterway, "It sure helps us look more professional"

Thank Jim

Back