• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Sanding the inside

Reaction score
I built 3 canoes this winter and got really frustrated with hand sanding the inside bilge area so I came up with this solution. I won’t take credit for it since I probably saw it here at canoetripping in the past, so take this as my update or a reminder to a tried and true method.

Warning, this method may cause a little domestic friction.

Start by by grabbing the mixing bowl collection from the kitchen, then grab a mini cell yoga block. There might be one sitting under the sofa in the living room.

Select the mixing bowl that most closely matches the arc of the bilge. Fortunately the thickness of a yoga block is roughly the same as the width of my palm sander, so take the bowl and trace the curve onto the yoga block and cut it on a bandsaw. Ever since I got a random orbital sander, i don’t use the palm sander for anything. I found the hot glue gun, downstairs with the sewing stuff, and attached the cut piece of mini cell to the bottom of the sander.

Put on some 60 grit and go to town. There’s no dust collection since all the holes are blocked, but it works great. Wow, what an improvement and it’s fast.

Mark

Attachments

• photo19002.jpg
    photo19002.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I use Pool Noddle pieces.

Used to have a commercial foam hand sander. It was Yellow, and made of dense foam. A 5" PSA sanding disc attached . Lost it ! I was bummed, but Pool Noddles work great too..

Back