• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Sad to Hear

Sad to see the end of another wonderful canoe. A good friend of mine has one and has paddled it for years. When he purchased a camp in Canada he brought it up and it's his permanent tripping boat up there.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I still have my '76 fiberglass Malecite. My wife and I purchased it at the plant in Stow, Vermont. It was our primary entertainment when we were first married, house poor, and living in Rochester NY. As I remember, it cost something like $300. I really wanted the Kevlar, but couldn't swing the extra $50-$75 for it. Besides, 65 lbs was not too heavy when you are 30 yrs old! I took it to Canada on week long trips for 20+ years, and then bought a Bell Northstar black gold @49 lbs because the 65 lbs felt more like 90 lbs after 25 years.
Unfortunately, I foolishly brought the Malecite to my in-laws cabin in PA, where they left it out in rain & snow, piled crap on it, and basically trashed it. I got it back last year and am in the process of repairing it s much as possible. We really loved the Malecite and look forward to regularly paddling it again,
If Swift is now building the Mad River Canoes, is there any chance that they will recognize the importance of the Malecite and start making them again? I would love to have a 40 lb. Malecite!

I’m holding on tightly to my Mad River Caption. Such a shame they are no longer being made.

Never say never. Like many canoes, the molds will live on and if demand warrants it Swift is very good at re- introducing models at a later date.

With Pelican having bought Confluence the demise was inevitable. Not a lot of canoes were left in the Confluence MRC line in any case.

Never say never. Like many canoes, the molds will live on and if demand warrants it Swift is very good at re- introducing models at a later date.

Hopefully this means Swift will produce composite Explorers.

Same with my MR Courier!

On the bright side maybe Swift will re-introduce a composite Courier or Guide. I kinda doubt the molds are still around or viable, but those downriver solos still have an in-demand cult following.

Does Swift currently have a capable downriver solo in their line with which a Courier or Guide would compete?

Back