• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Round Lake - August 7 - 9 2011

W

Willis

This trip didn't turn out as planned due to RAIN!!

I originally planned two nights on Round Lake and three nights on Little Tupper Lake Both in the Whitney Wilderness Area of the Adirondacks. I didn't take many pictures due to the rain.

I left home early Sunday morning, arriving at the Whitney Headquarters about noon. It had rained throughout the majority of the trip and was spitting as I loaded the canoe and pushed off for the short paddle to Round Lake. I me some paddlers in an old Grumman Standard who recommended site three to me, saying that it had a wonderful beach and was about the right size for a solo camper. I found the site with no problems. I hurriedly set up my tarp and tent during a break in the showers. The DEC designates the areas where one can set up a tent for each site. This one was slightly uphill from the beach, about 150 feet, and was almost level. I sat in my chair for a while and dozed hoping for clearing weather.

There is an old road which runs behind the site parallel to the lake, a family with three young girls hurried by with a quick wave and hello. I decided to go for a walk and followed the road to the right where it dead ends at site two. This site has a tiny sand beach as a landing point and a large, perfectly flat area where a group could set up at least four two person tents. It is really nicer that site three where I was staying. Other than a tandem canoe that I saw go by late Monday this family were the only ones I saw on the lake.

Sunday ended grey and damp. Monday started the same. About 9:30 the heavens opened up and it rained heavily until about 1:00. The skies then became partly cloudy with a little blue here and there. I managed to get in a little fishing after dinner, small bass.

Tuesday dawned cloudy with a forecast of more heavy rain later. Now, I don't like sitting around under a tarp for long periods. If this had been a trip with some distance to paddle and some portages the rain wouldn't have bothered me. This was supposed to be a sit in the sun, paddle, and fish vacation.

I gave up.

Paddling back to the Whitney Headquarters I came upon a group of women in kayaks. Most were in their 60s and 70s and have coming up here for years to do kayak day trips. I chatted with them for a while and told them of the nice beach at site three, I then went back to the take out and loaded up.

I went to the Lake Eaton State campground and got a site for two nights. That afternoon I went to the Wild Center in Tupper Lake. It was an enjoyable museum with lots of tanks with native and invasive fish species as well as a very good discussion of Adirondack ecology. They also have some cute river otters. While I was there the heavens opened up again and it reined very heavily from about 3:00 till dark. I had dinner at the bar in the Cellar restaurant in Long Lake. The place was packed. Good food and a great staff.

Wednesday I went to the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. I always like visiting this museum and learn something new every time. About 1:30 it started raining heavily and kept it up till about 3:00.

Thursday morning I packed up and headed home.

My Spot II worked perfectly, keeping my wife informed that I was safe. She worries about me.

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/wabrown11/ ... directlink

Re: Round Lake - August 7 - 9 2011

Sounds like a damp trip, but anytime you can get out is better than not getting out at all. I actually enjoy overcast and rainy days as long as I'm dressed for it.

I wasn't able to see any pics in your link. It says they aren't there or I don't have permission.

[quote author="chethro"]Sounds like a damp trip, but anytime you can get out is better than not getting out at all. I actually enjoy overcast and rainy days as long as I'm dressed for it.

I wasn't able to see any pics in your link. It says they aren't there or I don't have permission.[/quote]

The link should work now.

[quote author="chethro"]Nice pics Willis![/quote]

Thanks!

I don't think I've ever managed to visit the Adirondacks without some sort of heavy rain, but when that sun comes out! Boy! Special place! The Wild Center and the Adirondack Museum are great for those rainy days though.

Nice pics! I'll have to visit Round Lake and LTL sometime. I've only done a short day trip on LTL so far.

-rs

[quote author="riverstrider"]I don't think I've ever managed to visit the Adirondacks without some sort of heavy rain, but when that sun comes out! Boy! Special place! The Wild Center and the Adirondack Museum are great for those rainy days though.

Nice pics! I'll have to visit Round Lake and LTL sometime. I've only done a short day trip on LTL so far.

-rs[/quote]

My favorite in that area is the island site on Rock Pond. It's a nice paddle the length of LTL and up the creek to Rock Pond. One bigish beaver dam which is shown on the canoetripping.net homepage. One short portage at Burn Road. Depending on water you may have to drag over a couple dams that are normally submerged.

I like it because there are normally lots of loons. Also some big bass.

Hey Willis,

Ya know, when we walked by site 3 on Sunday I said to myself, that looked a little like Willis, but then said no, what would be the chances be. I guess I should have stopped by for a chat.

There were actually 7 of us in all. A friend from CT and her two girls and her sister and her two girls and myself, playing guide. We came onto the lake on Friday and left Monday. Site 2 is a nice one with plenty of leeches for entertainment of the swimming public. I was sweating the weather all weekend and was glad we snuck out when we did.

Can't believe that twice in two years we have "met" almost in the same place, in the "wilderness".

Keith

[quote author="Adk Keith"]Hey Willis,

Ya know, when we walked by site 3 on Sunday I said to myself, that looked a little like Willis, but then said no, what would be the chances be. I guess I should have stopped by for a chat.

There were actually 7 of us in all. A friend from CT and her two girls and her sister and her two girls and myself, playing guide. We came onto the lake on Friday and left Monday. Site 2 is a nice one with plenty of leeches for entertainment of the swimming public. I was sweating the weather all weekend and was glad we snuck out when we did.

Can't believe that twice in two years we have "met" almost in the same place, in the "wilderness".

Keith[/quote]

It's a small world. Especially for people in New York looking for "wilderness".

Say hi! the next time.

I didn't recognize you without a pack canoe.

Back