• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Retracing Ancient Routes to Hudson Bay

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"We had traveled 1,200 kilometers over two months, facing all the joys and challenges a long canoe journey delivers in Northern Ontario. Hard rivers, gorgeous sunsets, a mix of beautiful and bad campsites, a standoff with a wolverine, enough walleye for two lifetimes, near misses with wildfires and, of course, bad bugs. We followed a route of vanishing trails, a fading network of once-bustling portages crisscrossing between watersheds. These thousand-year-old trails have all but faded back into the wild mosaic of the landscape."

His home base is in Nipigon, and David and Leah spend most of their time in some sort of outdoor adventure. They do extended winter camping trips too. Last fall they went on a canoe moose hunting trip and were successful, I believe she shot the moose. Always excellent pictures from these guys.

Brought back memories of casting for old overgrown portages in Wabakimi. We did find some in the Pikitigushi area.You had to learn to thinkk like a portage. Where would I be if I were a portage? We spent lots of time wading through Labrador tea, looking for old blazes.We also found old graves. Yes we found many an old campfire ring entirely grown over.

David must have figured out on the trip to Hudson’s Bay that he wasn’t going to find another woman as tough as Leah, girls like that are hard to find. Next up a moose hunt/honeymoon to remember. A marriage forged under these conditions will stand the test of time.
Trips like this is real canoe tripping, makes Adirondack and Boundary Waters vacation trips look like a walk in the park.
Made my morning caffeine intake very enjoyable.

David must have figured out on the trip to Hudson’s Bay that he wasn’t going to find another woman as tough as Leah, girls like that are hard to find. Next up a moose hunt/honeymoon to remember. A marriage forged under these conditions will stand the test of time.
Trips like this is real canoe tripping, makes Adirondack and Boundary Waters vacation trips look like a walk in the park.
Made my morning caffeine intake very enjoyable.
wow..you are looking in the wrong place.

Oh, I found an outdoorsy woman fifty some years ago, maybe she found me. She’s still here, curled up on the couch with her dog. But, just like the princess in the fables, you have to kiss a bunch of frogs before you find one that’s a prince. Might even be a toad or two in the mix.

yellow canoe…….
You may be the exception as to be an ideal spouse in a canoe tripping situation. Lots and lots maybe most men don’t hold up under adverse conditions either. One of the main reasons many people prefer solo canoeing, road trips or travel in general.
…….Birchy

I canoed the Albany as a 17 year old at camp Menogyn, and the attawapiskat on my honeymoon 25 years ago. The link-up of these two rivers is chronicled in the article, and is part of my dream solo trip—upper Albany, Martin drinking river, lower attawapiskat. Thanks for sharing, Glenn.

yellow canoe…….
You may be the exception as to be an ideal spouse in a canoe tripping situation. Lots and lots maybe most men don’t hold up under adverse conditions either. One of the main reasons many people prefer solo canoeing, road trips or travel in general.
…….Birchy
I guess cause my circle of friends includes couples who love to trip together. You probably are right in the overall population.

However my female friends are usually the instigators of trips.

Back